3G Mobile Broadband in France

I wonder if anyone has more information on this. 

I have been told by 3 in the UK that if I buy a dongle modem from them for £100 I can have 1GB of broadband download for a month for £10 (more money for higher downloads)  plus a £3 roaming charge whilst away from the UK.  Although the initial outlay is high this might be worthwhile in the end since we have managed to spend about £100 on broadband alone just in the month of August when we are there for the school holidays (we only have dial up and I am still not convinced of the value and practicalities of going for broadband in France until we are resident - which probably won't be for at least another couple of years).

1. Does anyone know of an internet tool that can assess accurately my usual broadband download so that I can work out what I need/what I can afford?
  2. Does anyone know of a better offer from anyone else?
  3. Does anyone have any information about how reliable this type of broadband would be.  3 reassured me that it is actually at a very high throughput and that the service is good.
Thanks in anticipation![8-)]

Pix

Hi Pix, 

The price your pay for the 3 Mobile Broadband (HSDPA) modem varies according to how long a contract you take and the amount of download you require.  You can buy it on a Pay As You Go basis for £100 (£50 if you are a student according to their website).

The download allowance is for use in the UK only.  Your allowance has to be used within 1 month (no carry over like with a UK mobile).

If you use a 3 Mobile Broadband modem in Europe (PAYG or contract) it will cost you £3 per mB (NOT gB) – its not that there is a £3 roaming surcharge.

The 3 Mobile Broadband service is good – it’s cheaper than the other networks and they have the largest HSDPA coverage area.  I have one, in HSDPA coverage areas surfing the internet, it feels as if it’s working at a similar speed to at home.  Outwith HSDPA areas the speed will drop to 384 kb/sec (3G – still nearly as fast as the slowest landline broadband) or to GPRS in remote locations (slow!).

I don’t think any UK network Mobile Broadband service will be cheap to use abroad.  Maybe the French networks will offer PAYG HSDPA at some point – HSDPA has only been promoted in the UK for about 4-5 months and PAYG has only recently become available.

You don’t have to buy Mobile Broadband modem – some mobiles, like Nokia 6120, N95 and some others are HSDPA compatible – you can connect the phone to your laptop via the data cable or Bluetooth and use it just the same as if it was a modem (charges on 3 are just the same as if you were using a modem).

Regarding measuring your actual broadband usage – I have McAfee Security Centre anti-virus / firewall etc.  This has a “traffic monitor” which details uploads and downloads month to date and last full month.  Your protection software may have something similar?

3 Mobile certainly does have the best deal at present but guess what - they don't operate in France which is annoying as they have many innovative features.

In France both Orange and SFR have a mobile ADSL offering (so does Bouygues but it's baffeling) .  To my mind its not bad, some options a bit expensive and the speeds not as high as they could be.  For example, unlimited download at 3.6Mb will cost around 60 € per month.  In Luxembourg, same thing at twice that speed costs 18.90€.  Having said that, for me it could be worth it as I'm too far from an exchange for proper Broadband and would maybe have to have dial-up  (which is not broadband as in OP - pedant's hat off)

SFR has an occasional use tariff of 7.50€ (I think) but they require you to pay 149€ for the dongle! Outrageous! I'm wondering if any 3G dongle would work and just pay for the time used?  I can see in the near future that laptops will come with 3G built in, they same way that they all have Wi Fi and Bluetooth now.

Anyone looking at this needs to be sure that you can get a 3G signal in the area you want to use it in before paying out.

I have a Vodafone 3G card through work which is set up for international use and I have problems getting a signal here in the UK a lot of times let alone in France.

I get the impression that large urban areas are generally OK but rural areas area a nono. Perhaps France has better coverage than the UK but the only place I have tried it is in the Pyrenees and it was totally dead.

Best bet is buy a house close to  MacDonalds and get free WiFi access.

• 1 year later...
I just bought an SFR dongle(3g+) as the price has come down(69 Euro+28Euro prepay use - 30 euro cashback). It works really well in Town but the 3G coverage in France is still thin and non existent outside towns; GPRS Edge is the best you can hope for in the CountrySide. 3G+ is approx 1.2 meg, but GPRS/Edge is worse than a dial up modem.

So I am still a frustrated Internet User in france . I can recommend Quick Hamburger joints as well as Macdonalds....

Hi Fortyfive,

I am currently considering purchasing a 3G USB Dongle for internet access in France. I feel foreced down this route because Ican't get what I really want, which is a fixed line ADSL connection that I can turn on  and off berore and after my four visits per year to France, so that I don't have to pay the regular monthly charges. I am curious if such a service is available and if not, then apart from taking up residence at the local McDonald what alternatives exist? I guess that 3G Mobile is one option.

• 2 weeks later...