Several times recently I have got the blue screen of death with the following message:" Hardware Malfunction. NMI Parity Check/Memory Parity Error" and of course the computer freezes. I switch off and restart and after a few minutes it happens again. I ran the Vista memory checker which reported that there were no problems, so I'm somewhat mystified. Has anyone got any suggestions as how I might resolve this?

Patrick

Hi,

This problem seems to be mainley with Dell Notebooks.  I believe you may have a faulty memory module.  Try removing one of the memory modules and reboot, if no problem swap the modules and try again.  This may point to which module is faulty so it can be replaced.  I none of the tests work I would suggest replacing both memory modules.

Sorry if this is bad news.

Regards

Hello tel, thanks for the response. It is a Dell but in fact a PC and thus has four memory modules. The trouble is, it is an intermittent problem so replacing each module in turn might tell me nothing. As I said in my post, I tried a memory check and it turned up nothing.

Patrick

[quote user="bixy"]The trouble is, it is an intermittent problem so replacing each module in turn might tell me nothing. As I said in my post, I tried a memory check and it turned up nothing.

[/quote]

Looking this up, as I had never heard of it before, turned quite a few things ... One amongst the pile was someone who, having spent a small fortune replacing the memory modules on his pc at a cost of approx 700$ I believe and to no improvement, then unplugged everything, cleaned everything in sight and then replaced all uplugged parts very carefully, precisely and firmly where they should go. And the pc worked fine after that - the post was dated late 2005 though.

Sue

If you Google 'NMI Parity Check/Memory Parity Error' you'll find lots of discussions and links to potential solutions.

Whilst RAM sticks are the first things to check, one individual found that his graphics card was overheating causing a problem with the GPU memory chip....

Thanks for those replies. Yes, I've looked at the forums and they mostly say run a memory check, which I have done, with nothing showing. Curiously the problem only seems to occur when we put the PC into sleep mode. If we just leave it and let the screen saver come on it doesn't seem to happen.

Patrick

Could well be an overheating problem due to dust etc in the machine.

Both of our kids have had this problem at times and it has been caused by them using the machine in bed, on a cushion or anywhere but on a hard surface.

Giving it a good clean with the vacuum cleaner and compressed air blower usually sorts it out.

Hope this helps.