Livebox - Opinions

Hi All

I signed up for the free calls over VOIP Orange package sometime back, but I am only just setting things up.  I currently have a Netgear router that has done stirling service over the past 5 years or so, but it will have to be retired as it does not support the Orange VOIP.  Not wanting to fork out €3/month I have reconfigured a UK livebox that I bought for £14 from ebay and it now should allow me to connect to the DSL service when I return to france.  For those of a technical bent I have loaded a french version of the Inventel firmware via RGWrepair, which should be enough, though I have also unlocked the box to access a telnet service and the adsl hidden pages on the web pages.

Now, what I want to know is how reliable is the livebox likely to be, I have seen numerous postings complaining of frequent trips to the FT shop to swap boxes, but what were the faults?  It seems a well specified box with many features and reasonable performance, but with a poor reputation.  I would like to discover if this is poor software or flawed hardware.

Regards

Simon

Our first livebox wouldn't work and we had to exchange it for a new one.  It was a bit of a hassle as the FT shop weren't convinced it was the livebox so we had to have the connection tested before they would give us a replacement (so multiple trips to FT).  The replacement is ok but loses internet connection every so often (though, bizarrely, this doesn't seem to affect the TV reception).  When this happens we have to disconnect the livebox wait half an hour, reconnect and try again.  This can happen several times a day. If I was relying on the internet for work I'd have given up in frustration and changed by now but as it's a second home we live with it.

AFAIK you do not need the setup CD and in truth all it does is scatter useless crud all over your HD,

I happen to think they are ugly sob's too but that's a purely personal opinion of course and of no relevance to the OP's question at all [Www]

[quote user="ErnieY"]AFAIK you do not need the setup CD and in trurh all it does is scatter useless crud all over your HD,

[/quote]

Yes that is absolutely right, use the RJ45 connector and stick to the web interface for configuration.