Sky box coexisting with French free to air tv

Hi,

I've currently got my Sky box working OK via a satellite dish. We currently get the French analogue TV channels via the normal aerial but the signal is a bit messy at times and we only get TF1/2/3/Arte

If i want to get the french digital channels do i just need to buy a set top box or do i need to have a box connected to another dish? I have a laptop TV card which seems to pick up more free channels, but this isn't really ideal.

Does anyone have an idea as to the best box to buy? I don't want to spend a fortune if i can help it.

Your choices for more channels are :

TNT ( Terrestrial) box say € 40 and probably an upgraded antenna. Similar to freeview in UK

TNT par Satallite - more expensive box

Cheaper box but no PPV http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1635469/ShowPost.aspx

Full blown Pay Per View on Canal Plus expensive

French analogue TV from 3 dgrees West is going to be switched off and onlt gives you your current channels. The digital seervice from the same sat. lacks TF1 but gives yu FrenchParliment but has no guaranteed future

As Anton says there are a lot of choices.

What specifically is wrong with your analogue pictures?  Snow?  Ghosts?  Venetian Blinds?   Worse in summer than winter?

I ask because if you are getting at least some TNT channels on your laptop dongle then it suggests you're getting a reasonable digital signal in the area (because picking up any digital UHF signal indoors with no external aerial is bordering on the miraculous,  given the current powers in use at the transmitters).

So it might be a case that improving/refurbishing your current roof aerial effects a cure and allows it to be used for TNT.   Alternatively you can wait a bit for the forthcoming increase in power at the digital transmitters (scheduled to be in place by the end of 2011) when even the deafest roof aerials will probably work fine! 

The advantage of satellite is that you often can install the dish at a safe working height (or on a ground mount if you don't have obstructions such as trees/mountains) whereas fiddling with a roof aerial is less easy.    So satellite can be cheaper (even when you've bought a dish and box) than calling in a professional aerial fitter IF you can do the work yourself.

A lot of areas in your part of the world get their signals from the Pic de Midi de Bigorre (officially the main Toulouse transmitter even though it's 60 miles away from the town!) and this can be an easy one to deal with as the signals "rain down" from on high.   Aerials do degrade over time (mainly because of damp) as do their downleads.   You might even find that buying a simple TNT box and a signal amplifier for use on your existing aerial does the trick.   Problem is it may not in which case you've "wasted" €70 or so....

It's difficult to be more specific without a site visit,  but do come back if we can help further.