Have recently arrived for the summer with my new AppleMac version ten laptop. Have tried to connect to Free but it is not compatible with version 10.  There is no possibilty of ADSL in my area.  Can anyone suggest the best way of getting internet access using dial up? Grateful for any suggestions.

I'm a bit surprised that you're having connection problems when it should be completely transparent but since it obviously is not working, have you considered a 3G dongle from Bouygues telecom (or SFR) ? 

Not the cheapest way but depending what you want or if you get a good signal in your area, you can sign up for unlimited downloads or pay-for-the-day option with no contract/commitment, which may be better for you if you're here for the summer and not permanantly so to speak.

Perhaps something here might be of interest  http://www.laboutique.bouyguestelecom.fr/recherche-telephones-cle--Les+cles.html

I'm afraid that your reply relies on broadband access and, as I said in my query, ADSL/broadband is unavailable in my area.  The problem is finding an internet provider who provides a service for the very few who cannot access broadband.  Free used to be the answer but they have not updated their service to comply with Vista or Applemac version 10.  Thanks for making the effort to reply.

Chris  

I use Free.fr but have so far managed to avoid upgrading to vista (my machine is too old and slow anyway) but I do have a friend who I am certain is using vista on his Free.fr abonnement.

Mind you we are on ADSL here, I thought that all Freenauts were?

[quote user="chirikov"]

I'm afraid that your reply relies on broadband access and, as I said in my query, ADSL/broadband is unavailable in my area.  The problem is finding an internet provider who provides a service for the very few who cannot access broadband.  Free used to be the answer but they have not updated their service to comply with Vista or Applemac version 10.  Thanks for making the effort to reply.

Chris  

[/quote]

Chris, Pierre suggested an internet dongle which is not internet by ADSL but works through the mobile phone network.

For dial up have you looked in to Orange's offering(s)?

http://abonnez-vous.orange.fr/residentiel/bd/bdacceslibre.aspx

from their tech page here: http://assistance.orange.fr/1486.php?dub=2&

"Pour tous les forfaits Bas Débit, Accès Libre et Accès Libre avec Booster de Internet Orange, un équipement est requis pour une bonne installation et utilisation de l'offre. 
Voici le détail de cette configuration minimale :

• Un micro-ordinateur

PC, processeur 200Mhz ou supérieur avec port série disponible et :
- soit Windows 95/98/98SE avec 32Mo de mémoire vive
- soit Windows Me/2000/NT4 avec 64 Mo de mémoire vive
- soit Windows XP avec 128 Mo de mémoire vive

Ou Power Macintosh, OS 8.6 à 9.x avec 32 Mo de mémoire vive et un port série MiniDin 8 broches (ADB)

• Un lecteur CD Rom

• Une carte son et un micro uniquement pour le répondeur en version Windows

• Une ligne téléphonique analogique (RTC)

• Un modem Bas Débit, tel que le Bewan 56K

À noter que si votre ordinateur (PC ou Mac) a moins de 5 ans, vous n'aurez en principe aucun problème technique de configuration avec les offres Bas Débit Internet Orange.
Tous les Mac équipés de systèmes d'exploitation Mac OS 8.6 et versions supérieures sont compatibles, mais les versions 9 (et supérieures) sont toutefois préférables. "

No mention of Vista or Mac 10 but it would suggest that a recent Mac should work

Danny

P.S. I know nothing about Macs   [:)]