french dongle.(mobile broadband.)

HI. THIS IS MY FIRST POST SO BEAR WITH ME IF THIS QUESTION HAS BEEN POSTED BEFORE. WE ARE MOVING TO BRITTANY ON THE 1/09/09.AND WE WANT TO USE BROAD BAND FOR EMAILS, THEIR IS NO BROADBAND VIA FRENCH TELECOM AND UNLIKELY TO BE WITHIN THE NEXT TWO YEARS SO IM TOLD. SO WE ARE THINKING OF USING A DONGLE FOR MOBILE BROADBAND. THE MOBILE SIGNAL IS GOOD SO THERE SHOULDNT BE A SIGNAL PROBLEM, HAVE MADE ENQUIRIES AND BEEN TOLD ALL DIFFERENT THINGS,THE SALESMEN ARE BASICALLY TRYING TO SELL THEIR PRODUCT, CAN ANYONE SUGGEST THE BEST PAY AS YOU GO MOBILE BROADBAND,I WOULD LIKE IT TO BE EASY TO INSTALL AS I CAN SEND A EMAIL BUT THATS ABOUT ALL, REGARDS. STUART.

First, welcome to the forum.

Second, try taking the caps lock off, using capital letters is like shouting in netiquette terms.

Thirdly, these dongles are much the same but it might be best to get one from the same airtime supplier that your phone is using as you say you get a good signal.

Alternatively you could always sit down in your local village bar with your laptop and see what you pick up WiFi wise. I have been amazed how many people don't protect there WiFi. If that does not work try McDonald's who offer free WiFi.

Mobile Broadband is MUCH more expensive in France than in the UK.

For example in the UK, 1 Gb of data allowance valid for a month will cost you £10 (3UK). In France, 12 hours over a month will cost €35 (Orange France).

You say you “live out in the sticks”….. That may mean that there is no 3G mobile coverage where you are.

Your starting point as Quillan says is the network that your UK mobile roams on at your house in France. Check out their website or at a network shop and ask about coverage for using a “Cle 3G” at your location.

A trip to McDonalds may work out cheaper….. (You can check which branches have wi-fi on their website, mcdonalds.fr) The other option is wi-fi “hotspots” in larger hotels etc.

[quote user="LyndaandRichard"]Have I missed something here? There is no broadband with French Telecom? Um... what is the livebox then? Orange broadband is basically FT broadband isn't it?

[/quote]

Maybe too far 'in the sticks' for the landline service?