Sagem decodeur with hard disc.

Has anyone any experience of the Sagem DTR 94160S TNT SAT HD? I understand that it will work with the Astra zsatellite and will receive the BBC channels, ITV, Channel 4 etc which I receive now with a modest Visiostat box. The blurb in the Darty specification states 'ce récepteur est prêt à reçevoir les futures chaines HD de la TNT qui seront lancées en 2008 (TF1, France 2, M6, etc...). Will it receice the BBC HD channel? The big bonus would seem to be the ability to record a programme whilst watching another.

ian

Oddly enough a TNTSAT box does what it's name suggests and will pick up the TNT freesat channels.

I'm sure that it would work with the BBC /ITV channels if you pointed it at the appropriate satellite, but it won't open up the BBC and ITV  HD channels as they are encrypted.

The equivalent SAGEM  DTR94250S is available in the UK from john lewis for example at £219. In fact it is better as it has a larger disc!

[quote user="Ian 56"]Has anyone any experience of the Sagem DTR 94160S TNT SAT HD? I understand that it will work with the Astra zsatellite and will receive the BBC channels, ITV, Channel 4 etc which I receive now with a modest Visiostat box. The blurb in the Darty specification states 'ce récepteur est prêt à reçevoir les futures chaines HD de la TNT qui seront lancées en 2008 (TF1, France 2, M6, etc...). Will it receice the BBC HD channel? The big bonus would seem to be the ability to record a programme whilst watching another. ian[/quote]

You will have to forget this idea if you want to receive the ASTRA 2 English channels this way. This is a TNTSAT receiver and is locked to ASTRA 1 satellite at 19.0 E. You can pick up all the other free to air channels on 19.0 E but that is it. It will not recieve anything from any other satellite.

If you wait long enough there may be a receiver with double tuner coming out sometime under the FRANSAT service but who knows when. Fransat is essentially the same as TNTSAT from a different satellite - atlantic bird 5.0W - but is not locked so you can pick up all FTA channels from any sat dish connected.

At the moment I have the Aston Simba Fransat receiver which works very well. This is the only Fransat HD decoder available at the moment. We have two dishes one on 5.0W and one on 28.2 E for the English channels and receive all the HD and SD channels available including BBC HD.

It only has one tuner ('simple tuner' in french) though so we cannot record one and watch another unless the channels are on the same transponder (on the same frequency). As it happens all the French HD channels are, so we can watch and record 3 HD channels at the same time if we want to. Each time we record something, the choice of channels to watch is limited.

I have heard that Aston are planning a new model with inbuilt hard drive and possibly double tuner to compete with the Sagem but that is not clear at the moment.

Danny

[quote user="BJSLIV"]

Oddly enough a TNTSAT box does what it's name suggests and will pick up the TNT freesat channels.

I'm sure that it would work with the BBC /ITV channels if you pointed it at the appropriate satellite, but it won't open up the BBC and ITV  HD channels as they are encrypted.

[/quote]

See my reply above about the TNTSAT receievers all being locked to the ASTRA 1 satellite.
The BBC and ITV HD channels are not encrypted and we pick them up no problem.

Danny

Thanks for the very useful replies. It seems that the best solution would be to buy the Sagem DTR-94250 version from John Lewis which I take it works on Astra 2 although the despription on their web site is not explicit on this.

ian

[quote user="Ian 56"]The Humax looks good and is available for delivery to France. To record a programme at the same time as the one I am watching will I need a second head and second cable from my dish?

ian[/quote] Yes.

The Humax HDR has been discussed at length here [:)].