Windows 7 on new computer... not compatible with current modem from Orange

Hello

Have just bought a new pc with Windows 7 Home Premium installed. Currently have from Orange a 3 year old modem made by ZTE Corporation, model  ZXDSL 852.

We use this setup with a laptop and it all works fine and always has done. Wanted to configure the new computer before changing to a wifi router and found the modem company have/had no drivers for Vista or Windows 7. I was going to swap the modem from one to another for a few weeks just to ensure the new pc is fully up and working but...

So preparing to go out to get a router to connect into our FT/Orange landline setup and wonder if any have strong views on the way to go. We are not a big phone user and are in France for about 6 months each year. We do use the interenet a lot for our business and private use.

Have seen there are recommendations for the Orange Live Box, but why doesn't anyone just buy a good router rather than being reliant on the line/service provider? There is probably a good reason or not, any thoughts?

Thanks

Jamie

ps: Have had mixed results with installing existing programs (currently use XP on the laptop) from cd's, some just wont install and some will after a lot of playing around, have we bought Windows 7 too early?

[quote user="friend of stouby"]

Hello

Have just bought a new pc with Windows 7 Home Premium installed. Currently have from Orange a 3 year old modem made by ZTE Corporation, model  ZXDSL 852.

We use this setup with a laptop and it all works fine and always has done. Wanted to configure the new computer before changing to a wifi router and found the modem company have/had no drivers for Vista or Windows 7. I was going to swap the modem from one to another for a few weeks just to ensure the new pc is fully up and working but...

So preparing to go out to get a router to connect into our FT/Orange landline setup and wonder if any have strong views on the way to go. We are not a big phone user and are in France for about 6 months each year. We do use the interenet a lot for our business and private use.

Have seen there are recommendations for the Orange Live Box, but why doesn't anyone just buy a good router rather than being reliant on the line/service provider? There is probably a good reason or not, any thoughts?

Thanks

Jamie

ps: Have had mixed results with installing existing programs (currently use XP on the laptop) from cd's, some just wont install and some will after a lot of playing around, have we bought Windows 7 too early?

[/quote]

If you rent the LiveBox (3 Euros per month) its theirs so any problem you can get it replaced via your local Orange shop.

For problems with installing programs go to Help in Windows and do a search on "Make older programs run in this version of Windows". All the information is there including a link to "Program Compatibility troubleshooter". Sometimes you can copy the setup program to your desktop and right click on it and it comes up with the option of "Install in Windows XP mode" (or something similar).

Can't help you much with the modem problem other than to say you are not alone and no one seems to have a fix although that might be because they are a Chinese company and the website is in Chinese with no English option. However they do have offices in the UK, the address and phone number is as follows.:

ZTE (UK) Ltd. 3rd Floor Profile West 950 Great West Road Brentford, Middlesex, TW8 9ES, UK
Tel:+44 (0) 20 8231 7100

Have you bought Windows 7 too early, well its been available since around Feb 2009 but some companies are still struggling to write new software or tune their existing software for Windows 7. I have been running it for several weeks now and once you get used to it I find that its probably the best version yet but then according to Microsoft this is the last version of Windows. The replacement will be called Midori and quite different but won't be available for a few years yet.

Thank you AnOther

The link went through to Mauritius Telecom (Orange) and didn't see any link through to a driver or reference to any modem, but thanks for looking anyway.

Not sure why we shouldn't have been using just a modem nowadays as we were using just a single computer up until now (and still are!).

I suppose that the modem/routers from the ISP are cheaper than buying the same unit on the retail market? as they have an interest in supplying all equipment?

As mentioned I realised we would have to buy a router for 2 computer internet usage so not really complaining, just surprised and disappointed that W7 is so incompatable with much of what maybe Microsofts most successful system XP, or at least the programs written for XP...  and having spent 6 hours searching the internet to understand why I couldn't just plug our new computer into a working system. Don't want to be a software engineer just want to pay for a new computer and use (that's got my grumble out of the way).

Thanks for your time it is appreciated

Jamie

You need to contact Orange for a new LiveBox driver if you change from XP to either Vista and Windows 7.   If your French is OK just phone up the service number, or pop into any FT shop or go on the orange website where you can order one, they are free and despatched promptly.

Thank to you too Quillan

Our local Orange shop in Moulins is a little on the fierce side, have visited 3 times so far and found them giving customers a hard time every time so visiting to sort out problems is hard for the French language challenged, but when we must we will go there.

I'll give your suggestions a try, and thank you for taking the time to explain. The LiveBox option sounds good although we hardly watch any tv and almost no French tv so that aspect doesn't have any appeal. What is most intertesting for us is a reliable piece of equipment that works to the level it should, and as to the WiFi aspect will travel as far as possible. We have two locations we want to use computers, they are maybe 60m apart and through three 0.5m stone walls. I wondered if the aftermarket routers were more powerful than ISP's units or whether they all come up about the same now?

Last, I think in the very long late session last night that I read that the proximity of a concentration of power points ( for example the main fuse board for the house ) will upset the WiFi range and operating ability. I may be wrong as I researched so much last night I may have invented that!!

The W7 issues re compatability are poor in my view as the simple instance of buying a piece of equipment that is fully priced and expecting it to work first time is a normal expectation, maybe that's the reason that so many will still not go near a compter?

Thanks again

Jamie

With the risk of repeating myself I have only had two problems over 9 years. The first was the phone line which would have made no difference whichever system I used. The second was very recent and was a combination of the make of Livebox and the current upgrade to the software inside it. I used the English speaking helpline who after some diagnostic work gave me a returns number. Once you have that number you can go to an Orange shop and get a replacement, you simply take everything that was in the box the router came in plus the box and they just give you a new one, simple. If you just turn up with the Livebox and nothing else at the shop or turn up with the Livebox and no returns number you are in for a difficult time. In my case I actually managed to get one biked to me because its used for two business's etc.

The Livebox has two RJ45 connectors on the back, one is for the network and the other for the decoder if you use it. The latter can be changed, via the software in the box (its quite simple to do) to become an ordinary network socket so you can connect two computers to it. This has the added benefit that the computers can also talk to each other and by activating Print Sharing within Windows both can use the same printer although the one that has the printer attached does have to be turned on. You both get Internet access and at the same time. You also have a wireless connection as well so if you have say a laptop with built in wireless you can connect that way as well. In theory you can connect three computers, all using the Internet, at the same time.

Because of the distance and the walls you might not get a wireless connection in the other room, there is a way round this. Providing you have a single phase electricity supply in your house or if not then the two rooms are on the same phase you can buy a Liveplug from Orange or similar (and possibly less expensive) from another source such as Amazon (type in PowerLine to search and find them), I have also seen them on sale in very big supermarkets in France. Basically they come in pairs, you plug one in to a power socket near your Livebox (or the same one if you have an adapter) and the other (they come in pairs) near the other PC/Laptop. There are two RJ45 network cables supplied which you plug in between the wall socket and the Livebox and the other between the Wall socket and thePC/Laptop and you get a network connection. I currently use these things for one of my computers and they work fine.

One tip I suggested in another thread, do a search on the Internet for Google Toolbar, select the language you use on your PC (English I suspect) and install it. As well has having such things as Spellchecker it also has a Translate button so you can use it to browse the Orange website (or any other none English website) in English. You might like to consider the Orange Net deal which gives you free national and International calls, Livebox rental and TV (you don't have to install it if you don't want to) for 49.90 Euros per month and no line rental charge.

[quote user="nounours"]You need to contact Orange for a new LiveBox driver if you change from XP to either Vista and Windows 7[/quote]A Livebox does not need drivers for any operating system, it simply connects via ethernet or wireless and you access it on the default IP address 192.168.1.1

If you are thinking of the CD which accompanys it then you do not need this at all and all it does is scatter completely uneccessary crud all over your hard drive so there is no point or need to get an OS specific one from Orange.

So we have a new computer unsullied by any added programs at all and using the W7 operating system, then order a LiveBox kit and plug it all together, are you then saying the computer will recognise the LiveBox and install the relevant operating software without using the cd?

Hope I have understood that correctly as so much of the stuff installed is of no consequence except to enhance the companies access to another computer, with you 100% on that.

So we have a new computer unsullied by any added programs at all and using the W7 operating system, then order a LiveBox kit and plug it all together, are you then saying the computer will recognise the LiveBox and install the relevant operating software without using the cd?

[/quote]

That is correct.

To be fair to Orange, their CD installs the configuration routines which are necessary for the millions of non-computer literate folk who otherwise wouldn't have a clue how to set up their Livebox internet connection.  If I recall correctly, you can choose a basic installation without the 'extras'.

[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="nounours"]You need to contact Orange for a new LiveBox driver if you change from XP to either Vista and Windows 7[/quote]A Livebox does not need drivers for any operating system, it simply connects via ethernet or wireless and you access it on the default IP address 192.168.1.1

If you are thinking of the CD which accompanys it then you do not need this at all and all it does is scatter completely uneccessary crud all over your hard drive so there is no point or need to get an OS specific one from Orange.

[/quote]

That may be true if you have an inbuilt wifi adaptor but I had to use the Orange CD to get the wireless dongle to "talk" to the Livebox.  As if I can see from other posts on this topic you don't  use a LiveBox how do you know it works the way you describe for TV and telephone use?  Yes the Orange disk add all sorts of extras like child protection and "launcher" but you can remove these without any harm after you have got the installation working OK.

Thanks all, we are going the route of the Orange formule for 39.90 € plus keeping the landline from FT.  the monthly cost averages out to exactly what we pay now so gaining a WiFi plus faster speeds, plus will make more calls within France and abroad, a good deal for us if it works as it all should

Quillan, we have 3 phase and of course the phases are different ones for each location, but as we may change to single phase this may be our way forward.

The charming person on the Orange English speaking phone line service stated that the current LiveBox (MKII) is suitable from XP to W7, which implied it's not suitable for previous operating systems? Have to say he was more sales than tech so may just be telling me what I wanted to hear.

Re my initial posting, the original Chinese modem supplied by Orange worked without fault (and still does) but due to a reasons unknown they never produced drivers for Vista or W7. As we received this modem only 3 years ago I believe Vista was already in use? what was Orange doing supplying obsolete equipment.

Thanks again to all, in particular Quillan for taking such trouble to help, it really has pointed me in the right direction.

Jamie

As has been said by others the operating system makes no difference if you set the box up manually. With USB 'modems' its different, you have to install drivers which you already know about, the LiveBox does not use them. It only takes about 2 minutes (if that) and is very simple to setup the LiveBox manually. What Orange are talking about is the software that comes on the CD with the LiveBox which if it were not for the fact you need to keep it if you ever have to send back or exchange the LiveBox is only really fit for the bin and as others have said just puts a load of useless software on your PC.

You can either retrieve your emails via Outlook Express or Outlook, alternatively you can log in to your e-mail account via the Orange website.

Don't change to single phase just for this as it could work out rather expensive if you have 3 phase equipment such as heaters etc. Another alternative may be to use a WiFi range extender placed somewhere between the two areas (Click on THIS to see an example).

Anyway good luck and if you have any problems setting it up I am sure people here will help you out.

[quote user="friend of stouby"]The charming person on the Orange English speaking phone line service stated that the current LiveBox (MKII) is suitable from XP to W7, which implied it's not suitable for previous operating systems? Have to say he was more sales than tech so may just be telling me what I wanted to hear.[/quote]More likely just reading from a script and too young to even know what came before XP. As I've already said, almost without exception any router will work with any computer which has an ethernet port, the operating system is of little or no consequence, for the uber-geeks they will even work in DOS.

What Orange actually mean is that the Livebox CD is only

compatible with XP onwards but as you have been told, you simply do not

need to use it at all.

Hope you're happy with your choice. Cockups and bum info apart, in terms of actual online performance, stability, and reliability I can't fault Orange.

EDIT: SNAP ! [:D]

A cheaper and similar option to the Livebox is the neufbox from SFR.  If you have the TV its about 30€  amonth with free calls to France and fixed phones in many countries. The financial advantage over Orange is that the telephone line is included in the package, but its not a straightforward changeover by any means.  Be prepared for no phone line for a couple of days as the line was changed over very quickly and before the neufbox arrived so no line out was possible until the connection was completed.  You also lose your E mail address with wanadoo/orange.  Cancelling with orange was very easy, (lots of standard letters on the internet and recorded letter also done and sent via the internet)  - as was returning the Livebox, which is now to Dry cleaners and tabacs and not the local Orange shop[8-)].

Two days on and another question occurs plus very good and maybe bad.

As we have kept the FT line alongside the LiveBox + phone + TV setup, do we need 2 phones, one for incoming calls on the FT line and one for the LiveBox ?  Will I have to install a second phone point to get two phones to operate ?

Only two days after ordering the whole kit arrived including decoder, this appears very fast considering the snow through the country and we are extremely pleased. The paperwork listed what should be in the boxes and it was all correct, except there is no paperwork for the Cle USB and nor was there one included.

Do I have this about right when I think that by subscribing to the 7€ per month phone package that the Cle USB should be supplied within that as should the mobile service it allows?

Being able to access internet all over France is a massive bonus for us, but have I missed something and should I have ordered a different package?

Wont be setting it all up for 3 or 4 days as decorating (messily) the room where this will all go, but there's loads of info within the booklets supplied so I guess it will be no problem.

Quillan - wouldn't change to single phase only for internet access but this is another instance where having 3 sets of wiring systems makes life a little inconvenient.

Last year the commune changed all power/phone poles and renewed the power lines. Although we are the last property at the very end of both power and phone, the contractors told us if we wanted to go to single phase it not problem with the new lines, so we will this summer.

Thanks as ever

Do I have this about right when I think that by subscribing to the 7€ per month phone package that the Cle USB should be supplied within that as should the mobile service it allows?

Thanks as ever

[/quote]

If you are talking about the 1hr of free calls to French mobiles with free international calls option the no, its got nothing to do with the Clé.

As we have kept the FT line alongside the LiveBox + phone + TV setup, do we need 2 phones, one for incoming calls on the FT line and one for the LiveBox ?  Will I have to install a second phone point to get two phones to operate ?

[/quote]

Yes you do. You will have got, or will get, another phone number for the phone that connects to the LiveBox. You can receive or make calls on that number. People phoning you on your existing number will 'come through' on your old phone and you make your 'free' calls on the new one. Of course you can still make calls on your old phone but you will pay for them. If you think of it this way, you now (or will have when its all connected together) have two phone numbers and can make and receive calls on both. The benefit is that the calls made on the new number/phone are free.

The new phone plugs in to the LiveBox using the new style phone socket on the side of the LiveBox. This is the phone you make free calls on. There is an adapter that came with the LiveBox which allows you to plug a phone with the big, old style phone plug. in to the LiveBox. Its a bit of wire, about 5 or 6 " long with a little plug on one end and a big socket on the other that you plug the old style phone plug in to. When you look at the cable and the LiveBox you will probably work it out yourself, its a bit obvious when you see it.

Good Luck.

P.S. You may find the Clé turns up over the next couple of days as it may have been sent by ordinary (registered) post, if not then call Orange on the English speaking helpline. Make sure you have all your paperwork to hand.

I belived that the Cle USB was for mobile internet access, that is 200MB + 200MB per month plus being able to use Orange WiFi hotspots? This is the device that was not in the package. Found a listing for such a device from Orange on line, looks like a small storage device.

The items in the box are the LiveBox, 2 filters, a phone socket on the end of a short lead with a small blue plug (which is what has been described by Quillan) and the booklet with other papers, so if the deal does include the mobile internet dongle it's not with the package. I'll call them on Monday.

Is the second filter a spare or is it used with the setup? this is one reason I wondered if there was a need for a second phone socket for the second phone.

Thank you

When I signed up for essentially the same deal but without line rental I recall them telling me that the dongle was included and free and it all came in the same big box.

To be honest I've not even tried to use it because so far at least I have had no real need for the facility.

I belived that the Cle USB was for mobile internet access, that is 200MB + 200MB per month plus being able to use Orange WiFi hotspots? This is the device that was not in the package. Found a listing for such a device from Orange on line, looks like a small storage device.

The items in the box are the LiveBox, 2 filters, a phone socket on the end of a short lead with a small blue plug (which is what has been described by Quillan) and the booklet with other papers, so if the deal does include the mobile internet dongle it's not with the package. I'll call them on Monday.

Is the second filter a spare or is it used with the setup? this is one reason I wondered if there was a need for a second phone socket for the second phone.

Thank you

[/quote]

The Clé is a 3G device, you will get a SIM card with it to connect you to the internet via the mobile phone network (note that there is not 100% 3G coverage in France but its getting better) it does not 'double up' as a WiFi card as far as I can see. Being that it is what it is then it will probably be delivered as a seperate package and from possibly a different place. I would wait till about Wednesday before phoning.

They give you two filters but you only need one. Remove the phone from the phone socket, plug in the filter, plug the cable (the one with the little plugs at each end) in to the filter and the other end in to your LiveBox. Now plug the phone back in to the wall socket by 'piggy backing' it on to the filter. Leave the other filter in the box.

Basically follow the instructions that came with the LiveBox and you should be fine.

To setup the LiveBox make sure its switched on and functioning, it takes about 2 to 3 minutes to power up properly. Plug you PV in to it usinf the Ethernet cable. Open your browser and type in 192.168.1.1 whewre you normally enter a wensite address. You will be asked to type in the Admin passord which is Admin (not case sensative) you will then be asked to enter your orange internet user code and password (These are NOT the same as you use to access emails). I guess its the one you used with your old USB 'modem', save and thats it.

Uninstall the driver for your old Internet 'modem' and everything should function as before. If you have any problem with your browser try going to Tools - Internet Options - Connections and if there is anything in the Dial up and Private Virtual Network Settings box then remove it by highlighting it and clicking on the Remove button.

Good Luck

With regard to running programs that have been written for XP but will not run in Windows 7:

There is an XP compatability mode that 7 can run in BUT this is only available with the Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate. This is not available with Home Premium.

Paul

[quote user="P2"]

With regard to running programs that have been written for XP but will not run in Windows 7:

There is an XP compatibility mode that 7 can run in BUT this is only available with the Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate. This is not available with Home Premium.

Paul

[/quote]

You should add that this is the "Windows XP Mode" and quite different to the "Program Compatibility Troubleshooter" which is available on all the product range. For most people the latter is quite sufficient and fix's most of the problems when re-installing software that was previously running on a Windows XP machine (and some Vista Apps). Windows XP Mode is mainly for companies that have specific 'in-house' bespoke business applications that require Windows XP dll files etc. Not the normal sort of thing that home users come across.

Just for Friend of Stouby, having the Windows XP Mode software installed (yes you have to install it, it requires and extra 1GB of memory and 15Gb of disk space) would not get you round the driver problem you experienced.