Low Mbs, WiFi dropping out

I like to think I'm quite techy, but I'm not certain about this one!

We're on Wanadoo, and are supposed to get 10mb, but on average we're getting all of 1.2, since this started, the wi fi has started dropping out. It never does it when we're getting anything near what we pay for, but as soon as it goes below 2Mbs, the Wi Fi statrs to fail. Am I right in assuming that if the incoming bitrate gets too low, Wi Fi will cease to function, or is this a dual problem? Ta

WiFi and internet are two separate things. WiFi is simply the wireless connection between laptop and router and when within range and depending on the type (B/G/N) can perform at up to 300mb (theoretical).

Your internet speed is what it is and obviously, in terms of surfing or downloading, the WiFi cannot transfer date any faster than that. If your internet connection itself is variable and/or intermittent then it could give the appearance of being a WiFi problem.

Who says you should be getting 10mb ?

I'm assuming you have a Livebox and if so what are the Max Rate Down and the Attenuation Down numbers ?

Although not an issue with ADSL because thats where the bottle neck is the transfer rate of WiFi networks is 52mb. However there are manufacturers that use compression and burst rate which can increase the bandwidth. This only works if both 'ends' are the same and are setup correctly if not then they will revert back to uncompressed 52mb.

You say Wanadoo, do you have an old Wanadoo router (ADSL box) and if so I assume you have a separate WiFi access point? If you are just using the old name and have an Orange Livebox do you make your WiFi connection via that or are you using your own router which includes WiFi?

We only get 1mb Internet access and WiFi works fine for us although we do not use the LiveBox WiFi because its badly positioned so we use a seperate Netgear access point mounted elswhere in the house.

If you have a LiveBox you could try a 'factory reset'. Before you do this you will need the paper that has your network login (thats the number starting with fti/) and password. If  you have the older version of the LiveBox (this is the wedge shaped version) then located on the back there is a little hole that you can 'prod' (gently) with a paperclip. If you have the newer LivBox 2 then I don't know exactly where it is so you ill have to look for it. Hold the paperclip in until the lights start to flash on the front then release (about 5 seconds normally). Once you have done this use a wired connection to access the LiveBox by opening your browser and typing in 192.168.1.1 and you will get the LiveBox menu appear. The first thing it will ask is to enter your login and password for your internet connect after which you will get the LiveBox Admin login appear to continue your setup (activate the phone, WiFi etc). The default Admin password is admin (in lower case). When the Admin menu appears the first thing people do is change the password.

If that does not work then try contacting the English speaking help-desk, I have found them very good whenever I have had to use them. Their number is in the FAQ part of this section of the forum.

[quote user="f1steveuk"] It never does it when we're getting anything near what we pay for, but as soon as it goes below 2Mbs, the Wi Fi statrs to fail.

[/quote]

Check your facts to be sure.

It could just be that your WiFi connection is very poor causing the low speed, not the low speed causing a poor WiFi.

Cheers chaps.

My contract says 10MB, it's what we pay to recieve and was part of a package. We have a cable modem connected to a Netgear WiFi router, and on occaisions even in the same room and less than 10 feet away, my lap top tells me I am getting WiFi at 50% !!!!

Using an on line broadband speed test, and using a plug in broadband tester (connected to the cable before the modem) the download rate varies wildly between 8MB and 0.75, and I have witnessed the WiFi stop working when the rate drops, hence my question.

Never had this problem with two bean cans and string.....................

I am hoping you are using the wrong names here because I think you mean you have a router with a Netgear wireless access point connected to it.

As others have said the access point is separate, its just a network access point. If it were connected to a hub with another PC hard wired to it or a printer connected its through the access point that you would talk to it. The fact that you have a router connected should make no difference other than the speed you access the internet.

You will find if you read the Orange website that you can get a maximum of 10mb but does not mean you are guaranteed 10mb. If you were guaranteed 10mb I am sure you would be at the back of a very long queue with myself and many others in front of you complaining. I am supposed to get up to 10mb but I am so far away I only get 1mb even though I pay the same as anyone else.

I think, given your comment about WiFi signal strength, I would be looking at the access point assuming that even at 10m there is nothing in the way and its not next to a mobile phone,  cordless phone or near a 'tube' type TV. All these items plus anything else that can generate any form of electromagnetic signal should be at least 2m away.

[quote user="f1steveuk"]cable modem connected to a Netgear WiFi router, and on occaisions even in the same room and less than 10 feet away, my lap top tells me I am getting WiFi at 50% !!!!

Using an on line broadband speed test, and using a plug in broadband tester (connected to the cable before the modem) the download rate varies wildly between 8MB and 0.75, and I have witnessed the WiFi stop working when the rate drops, hence my question.[/quote]Now I'm confused, a cable modem, really ? And exactly what on your laptop says '50%' ?

The standard WiFi icon in the task tray will tell you the relative strength of the WiFi signal and if it that which is saying 50% then all it means is that you are receiving the signal at 1/2 strength but even at that it will still be running at a far higher speed than your internet speed which, from what you say, is at best 8mb. I repeat though, if your actual internet speed drops to 0.75mb then the WiFi cannot possibly deliver data any faster than that.

What is 'a plug in broadband tester' ?

Right, the internet is fed into the house via our tv digibox, which is cable. From the digi box there is a data cable to the modem. From the modem a cable goes to the wifi sender.

If you remove all the "gubbins" and plug a tester (not mine, one borrowed from an IT dept) it gives you an accurate reading of just what is coming down the "wire".

When everything is plugged in and working, and online speed tester matches the readings from the "line tester". When I connect to the internet via the built in WiFi card to the WiFi sender, the signal strength, even when in the same room, and within 10ft of each other varies between 90 and 30%, this is shown on a Vista sidebar "gadget".

Me? I am begining to suspect in built in WiFi card, a Atheros ar5007eg, which when I tried to download the latest drivers now tells me it's a 5006x!!!

[quote user="f1steveuk"]Right, the internet is fed into the house via our tv digibox, which is cable.[/quote]This only applies to UK then ?

If you are having the same WiFi problem in completely different locations it would rather point to your suspicion of a faulty WiFi adapter in your laptop.

Its even worse with Dells. Buy a PC one week and buy the same model two weeks later and the video, sound, Ethernet card can all be different. One reason why professionals don't like Dells, if you have to role out hundreds of the things you can't guarantee they will all be the same. When Dell bid on several contracts I was involved in they were unable to give any guarantee that the first and last machine would be exactly the same. We bought Compaq instead, never a problem, more reliable and used standard industry drivers.

Sorted. The digi signal in the set top box had turned off, something the on board WiFi cars told the unit to do. This has now been reset. My "engineer" also said that Netgear routers are "pants", and choke the incoming band width, enough for the whole thing to fall over and dissconnect from the web. He's installed an in line booster, which has improved it no end.

I just have to replicate this in both systems!!! But in summary, although WiFi and incoming internet ARE quite different, the former is fairly reliant on the latter to work, to a degree!

Thanks for the input