Acer Aspire bluetooth driver for Win7

I have reciently changed from Vista to Windoze7 on my Acer Aspire 9300 laptop and now I have no bluetooth driver! Has anyone any idea where I can get the driver from? I have tried the Acer site and downloaded the Vista driver, all blo-ody 40 meg of it to find it doesn't work with 7![:'(] [8-)]

Actually Jon I would blame Acer. Test versions and code for Windows 7 has been available to PC hardware and software companies for around two years, if they can't be bothered to create drivers for their products then it not really the fault of Microsoft. Don't get me wrong I am no great fan of MS and their (non)ethical approach at times but fairs fair and all that. Actually many of the W7 drivers for HP products have only been available since January yet Epsom had drivers last year for many of their products. Have you tried emailing the Acer support people and asking when drivers will be available?

I must admit that Acer is at fault Q, but the dig at M/soft was because they made it necessary for everyone else to come up with new drivers in the first place. Surely they could have made it so it wasn't needed?

I will e-mail Acer and pose the question. Maybe they will lower themselves enough to offer a solution?

[quote user="Jonzjob"]I must admit that Acer is at fault Q, but the dig at M/soft was because they made it necessary for everyone else to come up with new drivers in the first place. Surely they could have made it so it wasn't needed?

I will e-mail Acer and pose the question. Maybe they will lower themselves enough to offer a solution?
[/quote]

At the end of the day its hardware technology that drives it and in particular processors and memory. Now we have quad 64 bit processors that are really cheap, the price of memory has stayed the same just like hard drives but the capacity has come on in leaps and bounds. Faster data comms, Ethernet, adsl etc and so the operating systems have to become bigger to contain all the bits and bobs to use this new technology. The question is where do we go from here. The next generation of Windows, except it won't be called Windows (Windows 7 is the last and final version) will only partly reside on your PC the rest will be out there on the Internet. You will then pay an annual licence fee to use the operating system and application software. Personally I think its a step backwards and reminds me of the days when IBM, DEC, Prime etc leased you the operating system on an annual basis. If you didn't pay your machine simply stopped. Microsoft have been 'playing' with this technology for a few years now and have used the Xbox as a test bed. Try running a pirated version of their software, if you are connected to the web the machine will literally self destruct and you can never use it again.

Which could be a dangerous step for MS, the latest mobile phones are switching to Android OS and that based on Linux would mean a much higher circulation of Linux awareness which is roughly how windows became the OS of choice many years ago, maybe.

According to Gartner Android has only around 3.9% of the market where as Symbian has around 46% and iPhone 14.4%. The Android operating system has grown and has taken some of Windows Mobile share causing it to drop from 19.7% to 15.7%. Symbian benifits from being open source, the latest source was released in Jan 2010. You can view these figures and more info on mobile phones, computers etc on the Gartner website.

Interesting Quillan, Android is also freely available to developers and they are being actively encouraged to do so. whilst the figures paint a picture bearing in mind the time scale Android OS is exponential growth and will be the platform for mobiles wishing to challenge the iPhone.

Android: In 2009 Android captured 3.9% of worldwide market share with a gain of 3.4 points compare to last year. Growth = +680%

Symbian: In 2009 Symbian captured 46.9% of worldwide market share. But, when compare to last year it has lost 5.5 points. Growth = -10.5%

Microsoft: In 2009 Windows Mobile captured 8.7% of worldwide market share. But, when compare to last year it has lost 3.1 points. Growth = -26.3%

None of this helps Jonzjob though, sorry [:(]

I decided to have a another look at the Acer sit and at some of the other Aspire drivers. There are loads of them that have the Broadcom drivers and I have downloaded one, all 50 odd meg of it and am now wondering if it is a good idea to try it?

Any ideas? I won't point any fingers if it doesn't work, I'll just get rid of it..

I have an Acer Aspire 6920 which I upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 and the bluetooth is operating normally. I know it sounds basic but why not contact Acer Customer Support Centre, if in France tel: 0825 00 22 37 (0.15€/min)

Baz

I e-mailed them and had a reply telling me to just load it from a CD that I have never heard of and from an e-mail address that I couldn't reply to? Now it is the start of the weekend I will probably have to wait till Monday. I will give it a try tomorrow though Baz, thank you!!

I would still like to know if it will be possible to try the driver I have downloaded?

What have you got to loose? Being 50mb it's not just a driver but a program as well. Make sure you set a restore point before you install. If it does not work then remove it by uninstalling it then do a restore from the point you set before you installed. It's important to do it in the order I said otherwise it won't un-install properly if you do the restore first.

If you don't know how to create a restore point then type 'Create a restore point' in to the "Help and Support" window found under the Start button and follow the instructions. To restore type open the 'Control Panel' and click on the 'Recovery' icon and follow the directions given.