Whose holiday home?

Kate T

In September we realised one of our dreams and bought our maison secondaire in the Languedoc region. God willing we will be able to move over there, lock stock & barrel, in a year or so, once our business is more established.

In the short time since we bought the house we have been inundated with folk expecting to use our new home as somewhere for them to have cheap holidays. I would be more than happy for them to visit when we are over there, but feel a bit resentful that they expect to come and go whether we are in residence or not. Some of this resentment comes of the fact that few people bother to visit us up here in the north of Scotland but are more than happy to avail themselves of our hard-earned dream home.

Has anyone else found this? Is this the norm?

I expect that it is certainly the norm! We are in the process of looking for a holiday home, so haven't yet had the identical problem. However, I can tell you that when I set up my own business 16 years ago, long-forgotten "friends" and their relatives came crawling out of the woodwork, some travelling many miles, to avail themselves of the professional services we offer.

I would flatter myself and say that these people were seeking my expertise, but in reality they were looking for discounts. I found that the only way round this was to be extremely pleasant, and treat them like any other client - professionally, and with NO fee discount. Most of them were never seen again!

We have discussed (for our own future reference) exactly the problem which you have outlined in regard to your French home, and I think the only solution (and one which we would certainly adopt) would be this:

Tell your 'visitors' that you are running your holiday home as a commercial enterprise, and that they are very welcome to rent the property while you are absent. Then present them with a brochure and list of charges (run one up on Microsoft Publisher or similar if you don't intend to have a professional leaflet printed) and let them see that you mean business! Chances are you won't hear any more from them. The problem of people wanting to 'drop in' while you are in residence is a trickier one, but excuses will have to be found.

Good luck. Whatever else you do, don't fall into this trap. There's nothing more unsatisfying than thinking you've been taken advantage of.

John

Hi. Several friends and relatives have shown interest in visiting our little cottage. We only bought it in August and it needs quite a bit of work to make it habitable. My partner is going out for a few months next year to get on with the work and I'll carry on working for the time being to fund the building works! This means that I'll only get over there for a couple of weeks at a time and I'm really worried that all these people who say they are going to visit all turn up together when I'm there! Some people did lose interest when they heard it hadn't got a pool!

What we have said to close relations and friends is that they are welcome to stay when the bathroom has been put in but they will have to do a days work on the place (i.e.gardening, painting etc) in lieu of rent.

We don't get many visitors where we are living at present in the UK but it was amazing how everyone's eyes lit up when we mentioned France!! We will see. Helen

John boy is absolutely right - start as you mean to go on.
We have had 'friends' break china and windows without either replacing them, or telling us what had happened. We have also had all of our wine drunk, complaints about the lack of microwave and T.V., and been asked to reimburse someone who had to replace a gas cylinder. Needless to say, all of these things happened when more affluent people were staying at our house, and those with little money are the ones who decorate, tend the garden, leave pressies for us, and generally look after the property.
After finally blowing my top I now refuse to let some people use the house, although I usually plead family commitments, rather than tell them they are selfish slobs. I also ask for 10 per night as a contribution towards expenses, and quite enjoy watchng the shocked look on the faces of some people, who had expected a free holiday.
On reflection, the people who have abused our hospitality are acquaintances, and work colleagues, rather than friends, but I still think it is valid to set out the ground rules from the very start. Also, if you do weaken, you will find that the vast majority of your guests are friendly, happy and grateful, so you do get a bit of a warm glow when they rave about your property.
Maggie

Like our next door neighbour who was asked by his brother and mother to join them in the purchase of a holiday home-they declined-but as soon as the purchase went thro' could not understand why they could not use it.