Mobile internet on a barge?

Can anyone tell me the best way to get a mobile internet connection whilst cruising on a barge? Friends of ours have a barge and will be cruising down to Carcassonne from Belguim over the summer and don't want to/can't rely on wifi hotspots and have asked me if I can find the best way to connect without it costing an arm and a leg?

Any help please?

That was the thing we thought would be the way to go, but if anyone has any idea of the best  provider then that would be great!! [:D][:D]

No huge file downloads needed, just to look at bank accounts, e-mails and Skype for family contact needed..

I used my mobile phone as a modem a couple of years ago via a data link cable and it worked quite well but it was a UK mobile so the cost was very high for a few minutes but if you could obtain a French sim card maybe that would be an option.

[quote user="Jonzjob"]That was the thing we thought would be the way to go, but if anyone has any idea of the best  provider then that would be great!! [:D][:D]

No huge file downloads needed, just to look at bank accounts, e-mails and Skype for family contact needed..
[/quote]

For me, I think that Bouygtel have the best options for PAYG.

A bit stingy during the week (only 10 Mb) but unlimited at weekends and no contracts etc.

A lot depends on signal quality as to what speed you get so you may need to compare your route against the coverage map on Bouygtel.

Against all the odds, Skype voice can work OK.  There is some latency sometimes but often I've had a near-normal conversation with nearly no lag. You always have skype txt of course