I know that to use a laptop in France I need one of these rather than use my english dongle as that costs a fortune but I don't know what I need to buy. My dongle bought in the UK came with approx  1 years usage on it pre-paid. Can I buy some thing similar in France or are they all PAYG or contract? I need one for our house hunting expeditions to France and also to tide us over when we {hopefully}buy our property. Any help gratefully received.

Hi

Well I dont have an answer, and Im still looking for the right package.

firstly check that the area you want to go to has the right coverage.

3g coverage is patchy to say the least, eg ive found that only orange provide 3g in my area.

I cant speak for pay as you go, but the monthly package i was looking at, is firstly very costly in comparison with a UK deal (40epm) but a mountain of proof/paperwork is needed.  The carphone warehouse equilivant, The Phone House, requires from me:

1 RIB

2 Passport

3 Bank card

4 a utility bill with my French address on it (as my cheque book has my uk address printed)

5 a french address

My French which is not great at the best of times, is Im afraid wanting when trying to negotiate a phone contract, though i am aware that the penalties for exceeding the limits are severe.

good luck in your search and i will follow your choice with interest

kim

We bought an orange cle back in December, cost 79euros, but we got 30e back (received within 30days) and included was 6 hours internet use valid for 6 months - to keep the cle we have to top up at least once a year this can be done by buying the smallest amount possible just a few euros. think the usage starts at 20 minutes (valid for one day) with the max valid 30 days. This is ideal for us as we can just purchase what we need for the few times we are in France per year

It was very easy to do, pop into a phone shop, they usually have an english speaking staff member to help. We bought the cle, gave our RIB (for the 30e refund).

1st time we logged on we just entered the usernumber and password and away you go. We have only experienced a small problem with getting connected, most main towns are brill, smaller places are getting better. Hope this helps