Are French estate Agents lazy?

"if they give enough information to allow the property to be identified,

then buyers will circumvent the agent and approach the vendor directly"

Which is what we will do in this case, but only because the agent has refused to answer  a few simple questions about the interior.

He  has sent me exactly the same email again, noting that I had not phoned him, and I have sent the same questions back.

No answer since, but he has put the property on leboncoin with the same duff info.

This is why I use the word 'lazy'. Rather than type a couple of sentences he would prefer to copy/paste his advert or give me the bla bla bla on the phone.

To be frank there are good and bad in every trade and it seems you have unfortunately come across a bad one. Overall however in answer to the title of  your post "Are French estate Agents lazy?" then in general the answer is no. You cannot compare the method used in one country to your own and when they differ in their approach say they are lazy or worse. It is clear that comparing my personal experiences and reading those of others that in general French estate agents are OK with the exception of the odd one or two. The same could be said about agents in the UK or any other country.