Screen flickers and blanks out on BBC1 only

Have a problem with receiving BBC1. The picture flickers, blanks out and fluctuates, and often produces an image that is almost like the cable is half hanging out. It's difficult to explain, but it's driving me insane.

It happens more at night, and is at its worst during the One Show (which I guess, isn't necessarily a bad thing). But how do I fix it? Every single other channel is fine, it's just BBC1 and I've also tried alternative BBC1's with the same result.

Checked signal strength and quality is probably at 90%.

Anyone else had this problem and how did you solve it? It's been going on for ages now.

Sorry brain fade - attenuator was a reply to somebody who was having tropuble after the digital switchoff in their region. Do you have the same problem with all versions of BBC1 - The regional variations are somewhere in the 971 range on a Sky Box. Check the signal strength and quality using the steps outlined below but do not try realigning the disk yet.

Posted: 01 Nov 2008 16:45    Post subject:

As regards the above fair enough but my current set up having optimsed for Classic FM only breaks up during massive thunder and lightening.

Notes on fine tuning for BBc and ITv as below :

Fine tuning the dish alignment. Before you start moving any thing. Mark the elevation on the dish with a paint line or scratch so that you can recover the same position if every thing goes wrong. Walk down the garden at least 10 metres and hammer a stake into the ground so you can find the exact angle if anything goes wrong. Wait for a dry day if possible and take you digibox and a small portable TV outside so that you can see them as you move the dish by minute amounts. Maximise the signal strength then quality on the default transponder: Move the dish up and down and left to right by minute amounts first maximising strength then quality.
Lock the position then move the LNB clockwise or anticlockwise and also in and out again concentrating on quality

Use the following sequence on the remote control
Services (green oval button)
4 System Set Up
0 1 Select ( NB nothing is shown on screen till you press Select)
2 Default transponder

The Default Transponder Menu Looks like this
Frequency (GHz) 11.778
Polarisation V
Symbol Rate (Mbaud) 27.5
FEQ 2/3
Save New Settings

For ITV1 you change the setting to
Frequency (GHz) 10.758
Polarisation V
Symbol Rate (Mbaud) 22.0
FEQ 5/6
Save New Settings

For BBC 1
Frequency (GHz) 10.773
Polarisation H
Symbol Rate (Mbaud) 22.0
FEQ 5/6
Save New Settings

Repeat the steps for maximising shown above.
Restore the default settings and check signal strength and quality are still OK (they may be a bit worse but if they are still good it is a step in the right direction).

Do not Try a Forced Software Upgrade till you have sorted out the signal quality.

Best of luck