Orange LIVEBOX Daily switch off??

We have just changed from Teleconnect to Orange and despite several initial problems which were rectified quickly by France Telecom, we find that the LIVEBOX switches itself off and then on again once every day at various times. It takes about 2 minutes to re-set and then continues to work perfectly well.

I have read that the LIVEBOX updates itself....but does this happen every single day?

I take it you mean it reboots and doesn't actually switch itself off but either way it is not normal. The Livebox will update itself from time to time but it is certainly not a regular occurence and in over a year I have never seen mine do it even once. A couple of minutes is typical for a full restart.

It's not uncommon for a new Livebox to need an initial update though and I wonder if it's trying to do that but not completing and hence trapped in a loop. You can force an update yourself from within the menu but if it fails then I think it's a call to the helpline.

Congratulations on dumping Teleconnect (spit) BTW [;-)] 

I have had the old LiveBox and currently have the 'new' one (oblong with the corner cut off) and I have not experienced these problems. I think AnOther may be correct so it would try that first is not then contact Orange, get an exchange number and pop round to your nearest shop and get a replacement (don't forget you have to put all the bits and bob's back in the box)..

Stan,

the livebox should only really update to the latest firmware - internal software - one time (unless Orange release a new version, of course)

I don't think the rebooting is necessarily a sign of a faulty box. Orange have different ADSL line management practices to other companies.

Quick question: Do you turn off the livebox at night as well?

If so, try leaving it on permanently and see if it makes any difference.

I found precisely the same behaviour here if we switch it off every night like I did in the past with other modems. I now tend to leave it on all the time as the reboots were annoying, especially mid phone call.

It seems to be caused by the stability of the connection speed. It can connect initially at a comparatively high speed but if it can't support this it will reboot and connect at a slightly lower speed.

This may seem a bit bizarre but if you turn it off every night, it does not get a chance to stabilise properly and hence the reboot after some hours. It may also explain why others have no problems.

Unless of course they turn off their livebox every night too!

Danny

Sorry unable to edit the previous post properly for some unknown reason...

You can check the version by clicking here http://192.168.1.1/

latest software version is on line 1.2 'version logicielle' It should either be FAST3XXX_68141C or FAST3XXX_681420 depending if you still have your normal FT phone line service or not.

Danny

Thanks to all who have replied. To Jane and Danny....the box is left on all the time. I do think however it has something to do with the local exchange though, because for the first 10 days we had the box, it used to switch itself off "outwith office hours" and at the weekend.

A telephone call to Orange technical services revealed that the TV subscription part of the "package", ie phone + internet + tv was taking up too much bandwith and causing the connection to be unstable. After removing the TV subscription (it was never used or even connected), the livebox did not switch off "outwith office hours" and has been perfect since..although as I say, it does reboot every day at some stage, causing loss of all services for about 2 minutes.

[quote user="Jane and Danny"]Sorry unable to edit the previous post properly for some unknown reason...

You can check the version by clicking here http://192.168.1.1/

latest software version is on line 1.2 'version logicielle' It should either be FAST3XXX_68141C or FAST3XXX_681420 depending if you still have your normal FT phone line service or not.

Danny

[/quote]

I have checked the software version as you indicated and it is FAST3XXX_681420.

Thank you.