Not sure this is the correct place for this but here goes,after a lot of problems with my computer and trying to copy onto DVDs from my video camera i have at last got it sorted.The problem i n the end was the DVD player in the computer,my problem now is when i download the video with windows movie maker it will only burn onto Cd's not DVDs,can anyone tell me what i am doing wrong.

Thanks,

john

Does it play DVD's? The make and model information may be helpfull so we can look up the spec. Some computers can read DVD's but only burn CD's. However unless there is a problem with space most DVD players (not talking about the one in your computer) can read CD's as well.

[quote user="johnycarper"]

Hi,

Yes it plays dvds and its a samsung super wtite master if that helps i cannot see any other numbers on it,when i had it fitted back in england i told the shop i wanted it to burn dvds and they said this would.

[/quote]

Well if what Stan says is correct (it usually is and I have never used this Movie Maker) then yes you can burn DVD's but not from within Movie Maker. As Stan says get some free DVD software (I like Nero Light) and then 'burn' the finished files directly to the DVD and not through Movie Maker.

There is a good selection of free dvd writing software on this page.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/the-best-free-alternatives-to-nero-cddvd-burner/

instructions here on how to save your moviemaker file as an .avi file.

You can select this .avi file that you save as your source file in the dvd buring software.

Avi2dvd is very easy to use too.

http://www.trustfm.net/divx/SoftwareAvi2Dvd.php

download link here

http://ifile.it/82uztw3

"Instructions : Click on the 'request download ticket' and in the next page just hit the 'download' button."

Danny

[quote user="AnOther"]Have to say Q having bought my first burner in 1995 (not much change out of £500 and blank CD's £7 a pop) I can't recall ever coming across a DVD player which could only burn CD's [8-)][/quote]

Years ago you could buy a CD/DVD player that would read DVDs but only burn CDs. I still have one in my laptop that is from 2004.

[quote user="AnOther"]Have to say Q having bought my first burner in 1995 (not much change out of £500 and blank CD's £7 a pop) I can't recall ever coming across a DVD player which could only burn CD's [8-)][/quote]

I have an old Dell laptop (1998) that reads DVD's and CD's, it burns CD's but does not DVD's. I also a Sony Vaio (2003) that does the same. There are still quite a few Laptops that still won't burn DVD's yet they burn CD's OK. I seem to remember some Compaq desktops were like that and I have a Dell mini tower that I use as a server which will not burn DVD's yet it will burn CD's (and its hardware not software that stops it). I don't like Dells but as they were free you just have to put up with them.