Hi All

After a year of being very happy with my Humax I have decided to go the full hog and get it to record properly and play at the same time... This was mainly due to finding out there exists a shotgun cable on a previous post which hopefully will effortless replace my present single cable setup.

I just bought the shotgun cable and so now I guess I need a twin LNB.  Can you advise on which one... there seems to be a few on amazon.fr.

Thanks

Osie

All you needed to do that was a second run from the LNB not a shotgun cable [:)]

If you haven't got your dual LNB yet then you might want to consider a quad instead, it will cost no more really but will give you the option of either two more receivers or another recorder like the Humax - with your shotgun cable you already have 3 feeds now [;-)]

Hi..

I have to admit I did realise that but the thought of putting another cable along the wall and hammering in it.. I could not be bothered...

This shotgun thing will hopefully mean that I can use the existing tacks along the wall...

Not much difference I know but .. well ...

I found this on amazon.. is this the sort of thing that would work?

http://www.amazon.fr/Convertisseur-Hyperfrequences--LNB-Universels-independantes/dp/B001E3LLA0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1314705007&sr=8-2

Do I just unplug something from the satellite and plug this new thing in..?

btw: I will stick with the twin as I cant see myself ever needing another box...

Thanks

Osie

In functional terms just about any will do the job but check that the throat size is the same for fitting. A sky dish will normally require a 40mm LNB but there are smaller ones which can be fitted but will need a collar to do so. The Amazon one looks to be 40mm but don't quote me [;-)]

• 2 weeks later...
I have noticed that sometimes it is not possible to change to all channels if recording another one... even with the twin LNB set up.

Is this a limitation of having just one satellite or have I connected something wrongly?

I can not say for certain but I have not seen much of a difference between watching/recording with a sinle LNB or with a twin LNB.

Thanks

Osie

Sounds like you've done something wrong then as the whole point of a dual LNB is to enable you to watch one programme whilst recording another regardless of which channels they are on.

Think of it if you like as two entirely separate systems with the only common aspect being the viewing card.

[quote user="AnOther"]All you needed to do that was a second run from the LNB not a shotgun cable [:)]

If you haven't got your dual LNB yet then you might want to consider a quad instead, it will cost no more really but will give you the option of either two more receivers or another recorder like the Humax - with your shotgun cable you already have 3 feeds now [;-)]

[/quote]

ANo, I've only just spotted your post. The shotgun cable is useful in these situations to replace an exisiting single cable with a double, the advantage being that you can pull it through by attaching it to the old one and it fits through the same 10mm hole in the wall etc thus saving more drilling. It's ideal for the Humax or Sky+ applications but with a max length of around 20m apparently. It depends on accessibility really. EDIT: In my case the run down behind the plasterboard dry-lining would have been very difficult without being able to use the original cable as a pull-through, but the result is a neat dual-cable exit out of sight behind the TV where previously it was a single.

It is of course possible to run another cable and have twice as many cable clips on the wall.

However if you're thinking of further boxes a complete rewire might be best. Personally I hate loads of exposed cable runs.

There is no viewing card, just two decoders. I think Robbie is correct about the set-up. If you've already been using the Humax with a single feed you need to completely re-install the box as it currently "thinks" it has only one feed; the installation process detects the number of feeds. You should definitely be able to watch any channel whilst recording, and in fact sometimes you can record 2 channels and watch a third... but that's complicated to explain!

http://www.avforums.com/ is a good source of info for the Humax.

Here in the UK I have a 1.1 metre motorised dish that I installed nearly twenty years ago, but is no use with a Humax Foxsat HDR, so I installed a small dish using shotgun cable for my Humax, and I use the motorised dish with my other Topfield box for foreign satellites.  The shotgun cable is ideal: unobtrusive and easy to wire into the lounge.  I have 100% signal and 100% quality on the Humax using the shotgun.