buying new computer Mac or PC?

I would buy whatever you can get local support for.

My friend and I both have laptops of about the same age (7 or 8 years old now) mine a PC, hers a Mac. Performance-wise, I think the mac has a decent advantage. It doesnt flinch at her leaving literally 20odd windows and programs open, which my PC doesnt cope well with. It starts up quicker and battery life is excellent. My PC is regularly "cleaned" up, runs a minimum of software and I have upgraded RAM and hard drive over the years. Its fine for what I need (internet only really) but her Mac is a slightly better bet all round. However, it cost her SIGNIFICANTLY more money, so the decision for you is whether these benefits are worth the cost.

On the down-side a few programs I have are not Mac compatible, including (last time I checked anyway) ExpatShield for watching UK tv. Nobody in the area is able to offer any tech support for her mac. The socket for connecting the power supply recently burnt out and none of the nearby pc repair places would touch it. However, she took it to an Apple shop in London last time she went over and they fixed it on the spot without charge........not a chance in hell of an PC retailer offering similar service on an 8 year old unit!

[quote user="Alex H"][quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]

If you're doing a lot of graphic work, definitely a mac.

[/quote]

Could you expand on that a bit for me (I've never used a Mac) - surely an application is the same whether it's on Mac or PC ?

[/quote]

Sorry for lateness in reply, I've had login problems.

My reasoning for this is as follows.

I'm studying graphic design at college and am switching between two systems (and in two languages as my laptop is in French with an AZERTY keyboard, while the computer I use at college is in English with QWERTY - it gets confusing, especially with keyboard shortcuts etc).

Anyway, I use a Mac at college and am pushing the system a lot in the amount of applications I have open and so forth. The Mac has never crashed. My PC laptop, which is of similar specs, is often struggling to keep up and I often have to force close programs as they end up hanging. The Mac interface is far superior and smoother than windows and if you are using it a lot, it makes such a difference in the speed and way you work. It's like if you're a carpenter and you use a €7 Brico Depo electric planer compared to a €80 Bosch planer. Your final product will be so much better.

Having said that, when I finally sell my house and have money again, I will be upgrading my laptop. I plan to get a windows laptop with a 17" screen and use it purely for my work. Nothing else, no junk etc on it, and I'll buy a cheap tablet for surfing the web etc.

Thanks for the link pp - a fun Sunday morning read once I had reclaimed the netbook from OH who has been surfing every computer store and comparing every product for three days.

And the comments below the article show what I had always thought - there are two camps and they both believe they are right.

In the meantime we are off to blighty for Christmas next week and will make our decision there after a little tryout in Apple shops and PC world If we go MS we will only pay for software were havent already got. Made that mistake before! And after the debacle of setting up the last one we'll avaoid Norton security like the plague.

One decision has been made - once we have a new set up the 'dead' pc will be stripped and we will have a go at Linux but we havent the nerve to rely on it first off.

Many thank to all contributers. Lots of advice, some a bit too technical for the likes of me, but all read.

As a side issue, all you good people have made my OH interested in the forum for the first time. He may even join up himself. Although I may never know!

Merry Christmas.

Kathy