3D TV cutbacks...?

[quote user="pachapapa"]

There is a possibility that 3D will enter your homes by the back door as TV design and production is rationalised, .............

[/quote]

I was under the impression this option was already freely available with a Samsung Smart TV!

http://mos.futurenet.com/techradar/classifications/home-entertainment/high-definition/images/3dtv-content/Samsung's%20Explore%203D-420-90.jpg

I'm quite happy with my Samsung set up with Anytime+, Blu (Ble) Ray, HD, wrap around sound, and being able to wirelessly link other components into the system.

If I want a 3D world then the answer is quite simple, I turn the TV off!

[quote user="pachapapa"]

[quote user="Quillan"]I was reading something about this in an Australian newspaper and the same has happened down there. Two channels that used to broadcast in 3D have now stopped. Too expensive to produce the programs they said. There are TV's and Blue Ray players that can convert 2D to 3D but it's more of a novelty thing and the 3D effect is not really 3D more of a 'layering' of the picture. Seeing as there are not really that many 3D films around they thought it simply not cost effective to keep the channels going. I have not really looked any further but I have a feeling that France and Australia are not the only countries to dump 3D broadcasting. There are a few 3D cameras around so you could make home movies and take some pictures in 3D but even that gets a bit boring after a while. Touch of seen my holiday photos, they are in 3D, yawn.[/quote]

The chance of an australian TV cameraman producing anything reasonable with a steady cam is the square root of f### a###.

There is not much 3D stuff around and what there is, tends to be Pirates of the Caribbean type rubbish, excessively priced. f

For this reason I shall only be finally replacing my 2D Blu Ray for a 3D Blu Ray this year before the end of the sales. I am not in too much of a hurry as 3D Blu Rays are not exactly flying of the shelves...thanks partly to people still watching analogue CRTs and caught in a technological timewarp.

I have been watching 2D-3D conversions for close on a year now and find the function a distinct plus, particularly for sport,over the original HD image. The french TNT with 1080i is particularly outstanding in this respect.

Of course my disparity neurological function does work outstandingly well; without being conversant of the import and meaning of your "layering problem" I can only presume that you do not have 2O/20 vision or have suffered possibly from an excess of deleterious radiation from years of viewing a CRT tube.[:)] 

[/quote]

As you well know I don't have a 3D TV but I can read. I am referring to technical comments written by people who, because of the publications in which they write, know what they are talking about. The 'layering' was described as the processor taking back, middle and foreground then trying to create a 3D image. What you end up with is something not to different to one of those children '3D' birthday cards which when you open them have two or three cards, one in front of the other. On looking in to this a bit more Samsung in particular have a reputation for doing this quite badly. As I said I am only repeating what some of the experts have said, well at least people who are far better qualified than either you or me. Perhaps as you don't appear to see this problem due to your age and visual problems bought on from excessive watching of TV programs in 3D.

"Sony, Samsung, LG and other manufacturers have now released health and safety guidance with their products. Most echo Nintendo's advice about young children but advice also extends as far to those who have been drinking alcohol, pregnant women, senior citizens, people with heart problems, those who experience frequent drowsiness or are in need of sleep." Elsewhere it is claimed it can cause "aggravated eyestrain" and "seizures" the latter mainly amongst the old. It can also cause epileptic seizures in some people. Likewise it is not recommended if you have heart problems. I have given a couple of sources below but there are loads of others. One I found said that NBC in the US now give a warning before 3D transmissions, how true this is I do not know.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/01/3dtv-analysis/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/click_online/9378577.stm

[quote user="Quillan"][quote user="pachapapa"]

[quote user="Quillan"]I was reading something about this in an Australian newspaper and the same has happened down there. Two channels that used to broadcast in 3D have now stopped. Too expensive to produce the programs they said. There are TV's and Blue Ray players that can convert 2D to 3D but it's more of a novelty thing and the 3D effect is not really 3D more of a 'layering' of the picture. Seeing as there are not really that many 3D films around they thought it simply not cost effective to keep the channels going. I have not really looked any further but I have a feeling that France and Australia are not the only countries to dump 3D broadcasting. There are a few 3D cameras around so you could make home movies and take some pictures in 3D but even that gets a bit boring after a while. Touch of seen my holiday photos, they are in 3D, yawn.[/quote]

The chance of an australian TV cameraman producing anything reasonable with a steady cam is the square root of f### a###.

There is not much 3D stuff around and what there is, tends to be Pirates of the Caribbean type rubbish, excessively priced. f

For this reason I shall only be finally replacing my 2D Blu Ray for a 3D Blu Ray this year before the end of the sales. I am not in too much of a hurry as 3D Blu Rays are not exactly flying of the shelves...thanks partly to people still watching analogue CRTs and caught in a technological timewarp.

I have been watching 2D-3D conversions for close on a year now and find the function a distinct plus, particularly for sport,over the original HD image. The french TNT with 1080i is particularly outstanding in this respect.

Of course my disparity neurological function does work outstandingly well; without being conversant of the import and meaning of your "layering problem" I can only presume that you do not have 2O/20 vision or have suffered possibly from an excess of deleterious radiation from years of viewing a CRT tube.[:)] 

[/quote]

As you well know I don't have a 3D TV but I can read. I am referring to technical comments written by people who, because of the publications in which they write, know what they are talking about. The 'layering' was described as the processor taking back, middle and foreground then trying to create a 3D image. What you end up with is something not to different to one of those children '3D' birthday cards which when you open them have two or three cards, one in front of the other. On looking in to this a bit more Samsung in particular have a reputation for doing this quite badly. As I said I am only repeating what some of the experts have said, well at least people who are far better qualified than either you or me. Perhaps as you don't appear to see this problem due to your age and visual problems bought on from excessive watching of TV programs in 3D.

"Sony, Samsung, LG and other manufacturers have now released health and safety guidance with their products. Most echo Nintendo's advice about young children but advice also extends as far to those who have been drinking alcohol, pregnant women, senior citizens, people with heart problems, those who experience frequent drowsiness or are in need of sleep." Elsewhere it is claimed it can cause "aggravated eyestrain" and "seizures" the latter mainly amongst the old. It can also cause epileptic seizures in some people. Likewise it is not recommended if you have heart problems. I have given a couple of sources below but there are loads of others. One I found said that NBC in the US now give a warning before 3D transmissions, how true this is I do not know.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/01/3dtv-analysis/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/click_online/9378577.stm

[/quote]

Impressive journalistic credentials on your geeky blog and I do love the way the name trills off the tongue.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/author/pganapati/

And her tweets, appears no longer with "gadget whats it" but a deputy on the WSJ.

Do you follow her expert tweets?  http://twitter.com/pgcat

[quote user="Salty Sam"][quote user="pachapapa"]

There is a possibility that 3D will enter your homes by the back door as TV design and production is rationalised, .............

[/quote]

I was under the impression this option was already freely available with a Samsung Smart TV!

http://mos.futurenet.com/techradar/classifications/home-entertainment/high-definition/images/3dtv-content/Samsung's%20Explore%203D-420-90.jpg

I'm quite happy with my Samsung set up with Anytime+, Blu (Ble) Ray, HD, wrap around sound, and being able to wirelessly link other components into the system.

If I want a 3D world then the answer is quite simple, I turn the TV off!

[/quote]

Samsung Smart TV was introduced in 2011 in other words one with a D in the model number; as a recapture B 2009, C 2010 , D 2011 and E 2012.

You should delve deeper than a publicity JPG; Samsung 3D TVs are available without Internet@TV or Smart TV connections to applications on the internet. The BD Players will often have similar internet connection functions; indeed my selection of a BD player will probably be either an LG or a Philips to get extra functions; for example with a Philips it is compatible with a keyboard connected with a USB cable or WiFi.

Unfortunately still no TV with Flash or HTML 5...maybe next year...but certainly before 2014.

The DLNA on Samsung is very useful with lots of codecs.

CCTV will start a trial 3D TV service on 23 january, coincident with the New Year.

The repetitive blocks system makes sense.

http://www.lemonde.fr/actualite-medias/article/2012/01/02/la-chine-lance-une-chaine-test-de-television-en-3d_1624748_3236.html

Similar coverage by Beeb, note also other asian countries.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-16381069

Bit racist with the comment about the persons name there weren't you? Seems to me that if somebody says something opposite to what you say and they have the credentials to back it up you resort to taking the p*ss (or worse). Bit of a habit of yours I notice still it can also be seen as the highest form of flattery as well I suppose. [kiss]

[quote user="pachapapa"]

Indeed I am already looking ahead with enthusiasm for future tech changes and I am already following developments closely.

[/quote]

[quote user="pachapapa"]

The BD Players will often have similar internet connection functions; indeed my selection of a BD player will probably be either an LG or a Philips to get extra functions; for example with a Philips it is compatible with a keyboard connected with a USB cable or WiFi.

[/quote]

Well thanks for that snippet. It looks like I may be ahead of you technology wise, but it is nice to be reminded of the functions available to me via my Blu-Ray player.

[quote user="Salty Sam"]

Interesting comments in this link, from Walter Murch "respected film editor and sound designer in the modern cinema".

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2011/01/post_4.html

[/quote]

Very slow server on that blog.

The sentence;

Consequently, the editing of 3D films cannot be as rapid as for 2D films, because of this shifting of convergence: it takes a number of milliseconds for the brain/eye to "get" what the space of each shot is and adjust.

Expresses well the point I was making earlier on one of the Fame Academy 3D films used for publicity. If the story line directs ones vision towards a distant event, then the incursion of a foreground object will be extremely annoying as the eyes will not refocus quickly enough to view the object in focus. But much worse in the Fame film the foreground object had nothing to do with the story line showing the complete incompetence of the director in managing the medium.

[quote user="Quillan"]Bit racist with the comment about the persons name there weren't you? Seems to me that if somebody says something opposite to what you say and they have the credentials to back it up you resort to taking the p*ss (or worse). Bit of a habit of yours I notice still it can also be seen as the highest form of flattery as well I suppose. [kiss][/quote]

Nothing in the slightest racist there.

Pachapapa also trills of the tongue with measured syncopation.

But if it makes you feel any better then; I do solemnly declare that neither of the names trills of the tongue.

[quote user="Salty Sam"]

[quote user="pachapapa"]

Indeed I am already looking ahead with enthusiasm for future tech changes and I am already following developments closely.

[/quote]

[quote user="pachapapa"]

The BD Players will often have similar internet connection functions; indeed my selection of a BD player will probably be either an LG or a Philips to get extra functions; for example with a Philips it is compatible with a keyboard connected with a USB cable or WiFi.

[/quote]

Well thanks for that snippet. It looks like I may be ahead of you technology wise, but it is nice to be reminded of the functions available to me via my Blu-Ray player.

[/quote]

It is quite possible that your BD Player is more up to date as my BD Player was used with an earlier HD LCD TV of only 38" diagonal non 3D compatible. I continued to use it for Blu Ray Discs when I upgraded to a Plasma 3D Samsung.

The choice of a BD 3D Player is not easy, as the TV has all the Smart TV DLNA characteristics so buying a BD Player with it all duplicated does not make a lot of sense.

Price wise a simple 3D Player with few bells & whistles comes in at around € 65; whilst a BD Player with 500 GB HD etc is around € 300.

But dont worry I shall make a full Cost Benefit Analysis.

If of interest I could post the analysis after purchase and operational evaluation.

[quote user="pachapapa"][quote user="Salty Sam"]

[quote user="pachapapa"]

[/quote]

[quote user="pachapapa"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It is quite possible that your BD Player is more up to date as my BD Player was used with an earlier HD LCD TV of only 38" diagonal non 3D compatible. I continued to use it for Blu Ray Discs when I upgraded to a Plasma 3D Samsung.

The choice of a BD 3D Player is not easy, as the TV has all the Smart TV DLNA characteristics so buying a BD Player with it all duplicated does not make a lot of sense.

Price wise a simple 3D Player with few bells & whistles comes in at around € 65; whilst a BD Player with 500 GB HD etc is around € 300.

But dont worry I shall make a full Cost Benefit Analysis.

If of interest I could post the analysis after purchase and operational evaluation.

[/quote]

Alls well! Popped into town yesterday to celebrate my 73 rd Birthday and take advantage of the E.Leclerc 2nd démarquage, now at 75% reduction, extremely happy with my Samsung BDC 6900 Blu Ray 3D Player complete with integrated WiFi. But the most important feature is the analogue 7.1 RCA connectivity, compatible with the existing 5.1 Home Cinema.

A very fair price at € 82,25.[:D]

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/blu-ray-players-and-recorders/samsung-bd-c6900-review-49305891/

P.S. I shall now be able to upgrade at my leisure, in the future, to an analogue or digital 7.1 Home Theatre environment.

• 5 weeks later...

Small technical point the french Arte 3D programming was only shown on Numericable and Orange 3D channels.

However the Germans with their usual technical efficiency popped it up on the GERMAN Arte HD channel on Satellite; left and right format with 720p definition. There will be a retransmission of some of the programs at a later date for example the french coast next saturday at 11:35. worth watching even in HD on TNT.

But it looks like the immediate 3D Satellite FTA future is on german TV.

http://www.arte.tv/de/3D-TAG-/6374790.html