Changed skybox resulting in BBC1 unavailable

I hope skybox is the right term - it's the box which gives us the uk freeview programmes.  The box attached to the main tv stopped working so we attached the box from our other telly and since then we cannot get 101, 103, 104, 105 ie BBC1, ITV1, Channel4 and another.  102, BBC2 is OK.  It seems very odd.  Has anyone else experienced this and can provide a solution?

It is not the right term, but hopefully most will know what you mean.

It is a freesat box (not to be confused with a Freesat box!).

You will have to do a rescan for the channels, as they all moved recently. (The Freesat box does the changes automatically).

If you need to input the exact frequencies and settings see here.

Just to say I've found auto-tune on the menu.  It says 'processing auto tuning' but once it gets to 50pc, the screen goes fuzzy.  It carries on up to 100 pc then says 'can't find any valid channel', even though we have all the channels apart from the above.

You probably need to go into the setup menu, probably pressing menu or setup on the remote, try to find the language options and then change it to English.

What make and model do you have?

Do a google search for it, and you will probably find a link to the instruction manual.

To the O/P

So if I understand it correctly you have two <<free to air sat receivers>>;   as their menus appear to be in foreign languages they are not from Sky and they're probably not "freesat" boxes.   

Presumably you have a dish with a double LNB and cables going to two different rooms.   Or maybe two dishes with a cable to each room.  So....

What happens if you restore everything to how it was before you moved the box that used to work perfectly,  ie take it back to the room where it was?   Does it start getting the missing channels again?

Yes the BBC recently were shunted onto a neighbouring satellite (and ITV etc a few weeks back) but no you shouldn't have to do any sort of retune as from the ground the change is "invisible",   even to a bog standard box.

[quote user="Martin963"]To the O/P

So if I understand it correctly you have two <<free to air sat receivers>>;   as their menus appear to be in foreign languages they are not from Sky and they're probably not "freesat" boxes.[/quote]

Don't want to start a war, but if the boxes pick up free to air stuff from any satellite, they are freesat boxes.

If the boxes are the special ones for UK Freesat (note the capital F), then they are Freesat (or with a PVR, Freesat+) boxes.

I know it can be confusing, what with Sky, Sky+, and Sky free to view as well!

No,  indeed.  No war.  I was desperately trying to be tactful/diplomatic,   but I would now - as I'm put in a corner - refer my Hon Friend to freesat's website

http://www.freesat.co.uk/

where as far as I know the trademark (as it were) is spelt throughout with a small f.

Almost as silly as Arqiva (with no u after the q) but there I don't make the rules....

A box that picks up any FTA transmission should really be referred to as a DVB-S box with no encryption module/software installed.    But the description as "an FTA sat box" is almost as good.

Where we agree is that the terminology is hugely confusing!

I cannot over-stress how daft I find the use of a little letter on what I think used to be called a proper noun.

Yes,  I was wondering how the o/p was getting on!

Have you ever noticed how freesat's logo is very similar to that of Futuroscope's?

In the absence of a reply from the o/p,  it would also be interesting to know when the "main box" stopped working.

Although I said earlier that the BBC/ITV changes should be invisible,   I mentioned in another thread (wondering aloud in fact) whether the skew setting for Astra 1N is as extreme as the one on 2D.     Now that 2D is out of service it may be that the additional skew twist that often seemed to optimise 2D reception may now be excessive.    I haven't had the chance to test it yet on my stuff,   but it could be just enough (on a less-than-well orientated dish perhaps) to upset reception.  

And - given that the o/p (we think) is watching on a box other than freesat or Sky - it could be that they're using BBC 2 off a transponder which is still getting through but watching BBC 1 from another transponder which - thanks to a slight change in skew at the transmitting end - is no longer rising above the digital cliff.

Just a thought out loud...

Thank you for your posts.  The 'foreign language' reference was a bit misleading as I simply meant it was very technical language!

The box we're using now is an Amstrad Skydigibox and I'm pleased to say normal services have been resumed.  I plugged and unplugged at mains, then did the same for the aerial, following instructions here:

http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/freeviewhelp/retune.html

A week without soaps did no harm!