Wanadoo.fr port settings

Some time ago I changed my e-mail sender from Wanadoo to SMTP. Having recently had problems with SMTP I now wish to change back. Under Windows live mail - accounts- properties - servers I have changed outgoing e-mail back to Wanadoo however under -advanced- I need to change the server port number for outgoing mail back to the wanadoo port, anybody know what number goes in there?

Thanks

If you are having problems sending, it may be necessary to use port 587 for outgoing SMTP setting and make sure that you tick the authenticate box "my server requires authentication"(Mon serveur requiert une authentification) in Outlook express and similar in other email programs.

http://assistance.orange.fr/envoyer-des-messages-avec-le-mail-orange-depuis-une-autre-connexion-avec-outlook-express-6-1354.php

Danny

To be honest when I finally moved my default mail account from Wanadoo to Orange all I had to do was change the server names for the POP3 and SMTP servers and left the default settings that I gave earlier as they were. There are some ports that are blocked for some email servers outside France. Our 'host' will not work with SMTP port 25 and has the be changed to 26 because it is blocked by Orange. All our Orange accounts use the default settings with not problem.

There are some URL's for email that Orange blocks. Mrs 'Q' had problems with a client sending emails and them being returned as undeliverable so she had to revert to her Hotmail account. To 'fix' the problem her client had to contact Orange who said that the URL had previously been used for spamming so they had blocked it. This was a very big London solicitors and after a few email exchanges their URL was removed from the list and she now receives mails addressed to her Orange account.

I am wondering if the OP is only having a problem when outside France, like in the UK perhaps, in which case it might really be a problem with their ISP. If it is inside France they can always try the English speaking helpline at Orange if their technical French is not up to it. I have always found them very helpful.

Thanks to all for the replies so far, however having tried the different set up's and ports suggested nothing seeems to work. Quillan, I am not outside France however the problem is a replication of the problem my wife has (with exactly the same set up on her laptop) when she is abroad, i.e. can receive but not reply. Does anyone have the number for the Orange helpdesk in English? Once again many thanks to all. 

I forgot to add than neither of these three ports require SMTP authentication (the little box should not be ticked). I don't have mine ticked and it worked for all three ports. You must get an error message, don't suppose you can copy it in to a post?

This is the error message

The connection to the server has failed.

Subject 'test'

Server: 'stmp.com'

Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0E

Protocol: SMTP

Port: 26

Secure(SSL): No

Socket Error: 10060

I have tried ports 25, 2525,587 and 26 all to no avail. As server I have tried stmp.orange.fr as well as stmp.com, think I tried stmp.wanadoo.fr as well. This error message just been received so the suggested port 26 didn't work :(

Regards

Bob

Looks like that was the problem. Just changed it,  re-connected and my Wanadoo outbox have cleared, many thanks Quillan, sometimes you can't see something staring you in the face!

Bob

I personally would use the Orange account, it has worked fine for me for some years now but it is up to you. Wanadoo emails will automatically be transferred to the account on the server. I would be interested to know why you wanted to change back i.e. what exactly were the problems you had.

You might also like to check your wife's laptop and I suggest you change the smtp port to 26 on hers and it should be OK when outside France. This is not an Orange problem but the problem with the ISP she connects to when outside France.

Thanks again Quillan for your help. My outgoing mail is hosted by SMTP.com. A week or so ago I noticed that none of my e-mails to other Wanadoo/Orange addresses was being received. To cut a long story short, SMTP said Orange had blocked all SMTP mail due to 'a problem' (someone spamming I assume). They said they were on the case and would let me know when the matter was resolved. In the interim I wanted to try to change my outgoing mail host back to Wanadoo, that was the reason I was looking for help. All is now solved and working fine. We are in Sicily later this year and my wife will try using port 26 to send mail.

Best wishes

Bob