Sim only for iphone

My lovely son-in-law has offered to give me his old iphone4 when his contract runs out and he upgrades. I curently have a cheap phone witha 10 euros a month contract with Orange.fr. I wouldn't need huge amounts of calls, texts or internet acess, but does anyone know if you can get a sim only deal? It sees to cost about £10 a month in The UK, but the orange website defeats me and I can't find anything on there.

Please excuse typos as the forum still doesn't let me edit my posts.

[quote user="EmilyA"]

My lovely son-in-law has offered to give me his old iphone4 when his contract runs out and he upgrades. I curently have a cheap phone witha 10 euros a month contract with Orange.fr. I wouldn't need huge amounts of calls, texts or internet acess, but does anyone know if you can get a sim only deal? It sees to cost about £10 a month in The UK, but the orange website defeats me and I can't find anything on there.

Please excuse typos as the forum still doesn't let me edit my posts.

[/quote]

I use this company for my iPhone http://www.lefrenchmobile.com/en/order-sim-card-for-france.html and have had no problems using it here in France and abroad. I tend to use WiFi (free in shops McD's etc) more than anything else. Remember that the iPhone you are given will probably be locked into the company who provided the original contract and will need to be unlocked before you can use a 3rd party SIM in it.

First thing is the phone needs to be 'unlocked' if it's a UK phone or 'De Bloque' if its a French phone otherwise you must use a SIM from whoever the  original airtime supplier is. Orange UK and Orange FR are separate companies within the Orange group so an Orange UK SIM won't work in an Orange FR phone and the other way round, I know I got caught on that one years ago.

Orange packages are not that good compared to others. My personal choice at the moment until Free becomes more 'stable' is SFR or Bouygues. Both of these offer packages with or without data, the latter is handy for these type of phones when your out and about, means you can check your emails etc. SFR has an offer for €19,90 per month (as does Bouygues) with no contract. For that you get free calls to French landlines and mobiles in France and free calls to landlines in 50 different countries including the UK plus a generous Internet download allowance. In short if you don't have an Internet deal in France at your home and you only use Internet from time to time you can cancel that and just use the phone when in France.

The two offers by SFR are here.

http://www.sfr.fr/telephonie-mobile/series-red-de-sfr.html

The two offers by Bouygues are here.

https://www.b-and-you.fr/

You can choose just to have the SIM on with bth companies.

Thanks all. My SiL will unblock the phone and send it to me. I will have a look at all the recommendations, but there is an SFR shop in town so I may go with that. We have French Orange "broadband" of 512k so the phone will be for out and about phone, text and internet access.

Thank you and Merry Christmas to all.

The SFR deal is via the Internet so you can order your SIM and they will send it through the post to you. If you already have a French moblie they will transfer the number for you.

I had 512kb with Orange and called them on the helpdesk number. They upgraded me to 2Mb FOC which in reality gave me just over 1Mb. It's worth a try, you never know and it's free.