HP Pavilion problems

I wonder if anyone can shed some light on a problem with a new HP Pavilion P6-2467efm desktop computer running Windows 8 bought from Darty on-line. When you switch it on the screen shows no DVI signal and nothing happens and the screen goes into sleep mode. If you then switch it, the computer, off and then on again everything works normally. Getting help in English on the HP web sites seems not to be possible as the model number is not recognised except on the Europe/French site. It would be great if any of you good people having had a similar experience could advise. So far not that happy with Windows 8 but maybe just needs getting used to. Not sure if this is a hardware or software fault or any fault at all! I suppose it could even be a VDU fault, Pavilion 23xi................................JR 

PS Well not a VDU fault as same symptoms when using a different VDU.

Sorry, cannot help with the actual problem but I assume that it has a French type keyboard, i.e. non QWERTY and I assume that this is why you cannot find the model number on the UK website. Perhaps if you look at the spec and photos of those on the UK website you can find the equivalent of your model with a QWERTY keyboard.

Good thought, ta will try. Tried setting the computer to go into sleep mode which it did but on pushing the Windows key the power light turned from orange to white but it did not start up or if it did there was no evidence of it and the VDU showed no DVI signal again. Turned computer power off and back on again as before and all working as before.........JR

[quote user="PaulT"]Sorry, cannot help with the actual problem but I assume that it has a French type keyboard, i.e. non QWERTY and I assume that this is why you cannot find the model number on the UK website. Perhaps if you look at the spec and photos of those on the UK website you can find the equivalent of your model with a QWERTY keyboard.[/quote]

Exactly my thoughts, I know Toshiba give different part numbers depending on keyboard and operating system language. I would search using the part number and gradually remove the last character each time. Some companies have different last letters or numbers for language (the norm) but some use the first couple. So if you don't get a result by gradually removing the last character each time try removing the first character each time if you get my drift.

[quote user="Quillan"]

[quote user="PaulT"]Sorry, cannot help with the actual problem but I assume that it has a French type keyboard, i.e. non QWERTY and I assume that this is why you cannot find the model number on the UK website. Perhaps if you look at the spec and photos of those on the UK website you can find the equivalent of your model with a QWERTY keyboard.[/quote]

Exactly my thoughts, I know Toshiba give different part numbers depending on keyboard and operating system language. I would search using the part number and gradually remove the last character each time. Some companies have different last letters or numbers for language (the norm) but some use the first couple. So if you don't get a result by gradually removing the last character each time try removing the first character each time if you get my drift.

[/quote]

Perhaps it ends in 'F' or 'FR', many manufacturers put this on the end of their French models. Otherwise the model numbers are the same. Might be worth looking at.

Ok folks and first of all thanks for all the suggestions. Feeling a little stupid just now as this morning I suddenly realised I had not loaded the software for the neuf box. It had seemed to find it for itself but why I had to turn the computer on and then off and then on again before it all worked I am still not sure. However this morning I removed the Ethernet cable link to the neuf box and switched on and it all fired up ok. So I then set the HP Pavilion to communicate with the neuf box by WiFi and its works! Our other machine, a laptop, has always linked to the modem by WiFi so now both machines are connected that way with no conflict observed so far. I still have not loaded the SFR software for the neuf box but as it seems to work now I think I will leave it alone! One good think about this is that should we have another lightning strike on the phone line the computer may survive unlike the modem bearing in mind we have lost several modems that way over the last 12 years! Another problem associated with that is lose the modem lose the telephone and last time it was a week before the box was replaced! Hope the Belkin protection thing does its job next time!

On receiving the computer from Darty on-line I was a little surprised that there was no Windows 8 back-up CD and virtually no information about how to set up the computer. Windows 8 seems to require a lot of study to find out how to use it and in many respects at first sight seems rather different to earlier versions, maybe orientated to other forms of computer like tablets?

Any comments you may have on any of this will be most welcome as I admit I am a bit clueless in this area! My experiences with computers dates back a bit to the BBC B and Exidy Sorcerer and the good old 6502 and Z80 chips...............................JR 

PS Turned it off and left it off for more than 30 minutes and back to having to turn it off and then on again to get it to work, weird why should how long it has been off make a difference? 

Glad it's all sorted, but it's strange the way it was sorted.

I have Win 8 on my laptop. Imo it is very much like Win 7, except pressing the Windows button switches you between the tile and the desktop sections. I really only use it in the desktop mode, but I do have everything set up in the tile mode, so I can just click a tile to open whatever program I need.

The best thing I personally find about the tile section is ease of finding programs. Simply start typing the name of the program and it will display it.

Also, in desktop mode, if you press Windows button and X, you'll get a little menu where you can get the control panel and lots of other things.

I think it's the best OS since XP, I like it.

As for backup CDs, most computers don't have them now, but your hard drive should be partitioned where a backup copy of it is stored, so if you ever need to reinstall, or recover your system, you'll need to boot from it on start up. Don't worry about this until you have to, but everything should be there.

Sadly it ain't fixed yet. I added a note to my last post and I am afraid that after it has been off for some time we have the same fault i.e. turn on, nothing much happens, turn off and then on again and all seems to work. Now gone back to the Ethernet cable connection to the modem but WiFi or Ethernet we get the same fault.............JR

Yes set to sleep never and the VDU after 20 mins. No help I am afraid. If nothing else comes to mind I could use the recover system to go back to square 1 but will lose all the stuff I have loaded since. Still if nothing else comes to mind I will try that...........JR

Ok used the Refresh facility by restarting while holding down the Shift key and then selecting Refresh. Problem seems to have gone now and machine starts up properly each time. Also the side swipe from the right to get the various charms works every time and it did not before. Also now comes out of sleep mode when I ask it to which it did not do before. The only slightly annoying thing is that it always sets up English and English keyboard on starting but not really a problem as easy to change to English and French keyboard.

Have loaded each of the softwares I had before and checking that the machine shuts down and restarts from cold each time I have loaded and executed a new piece of software and no problems so far. However I note that it thinks that Expat Shield is not compatible with Windows 8 yet but I doubt that this was the cause of the problem last time I loaded it. Still I will wait for a compatible version to be available before I load it again. Thanks to all for the advice and assistance got me thinking in the right direction..................JR