internet signal

I am sorry as this must have been covered before but cannot see it,the problem we have is we have just purchased a lap top and due to the live box being one end of house and we want to us e it the other end we cannot pick up a signal.Our tower computer is plugged straight into the live box so no problem,is there anything you can buy in France to boost the signal through at least 4 thick walls.

Thanks,

John.

yes there is, many supermarkets sell wifi boosters. You can buy two sorts - one is a cable that goes into your Livebox and the other end plugs into an electricity socket (note, it has to be an individual socket and not on a multiple extension lead). Then you go to the other end of the house and plug the second plugbox into another socket. The signal is transferred through the electrical system, I think, and you might have to 'sync' them at the start, but you will get signal throughout the house and into the garden.

The other one is a standalone plug which you plug in at a distance from the Livebox (say the livebox is at one end of the house, then put this one midway) and it receives and amplifies the wifi signal - again, maybe a bit of 'syncing' at the start. The latter is the sort we have and it works fine through stone walls. The first one is owned by a friend of mine and extends the signal through to the gite (the second plug is in the gite, but it's on the same elec circuit as everything else).

You can buy both these from supermarkets - we got ours from a local Auchan.

Never heard of an rcd stopping the signal getting through.

I seem to remember something about if you have 3 phase supply that the senders/receivers have to be on the same phase but I'm really not sure about that.

I recommended the plug-in sender/receiver system to my neighbours last year (very large house, 3 floors plus attic) and it works very well for them, I don't even recall any setup as they would have called me to do it [geek]

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

I seem to remember something about if you have 3 phase supply that the senders/receivers have to be on the same phase but I'm really not sure about that.

[/quote]

That is correct, it has to be on the same phase. Normally people have only single phase so it is not a problem but some houses, like my friends, have three phase. I believe this is more normal if you have electric only heating but don't quote me on that.