Audio output from TV

The sound quality from our TV (7 year old LG) isn't good. I've toyed with the idea of using external speakers (ideally, an adjacent micro-hifi), but I can't see an obvious audio output from the TV.

There are the usual HDMI and SCART sockets, an S-video DIN socket plus two sets of phono sockets - all clearly defined in the (brief) manual as "input". Plus a square socket described as "Digital Audio Out Optical".

This sounds like what I want, but it's further described as "Connect digital audio FROM various types of equipment". Is this just bad english? Is it really an output? And, if it is, can I easily get a cable with square digital on one end and whatever the micro-hifi needs on the other end?

Thanks

I ran into this issue when I wanted to connect a "sound bar" to my LG TV, which, like yours, has only an optical sound output port. The sound bar didn't have an optical input, so I picked up an optical-to-RCA converter. You just plug an optical cable from the TV into the converter (a Cyp Au-D3) and connect your hi-fi or whatever to its output with RCA cables. Some good audio equipment accepts an optical input directly, so you would just hook up your TV directly with an optical cable (widely available). The description in your TV manual must be a mistake. I bought my converter and optical cable from Amazon UK but they should be available from any electronics-type store. Good luck.