Intermittent loss of internet connection

A couple of weeks ago, I replaced my old modem/router (Netgear DG834) with a new one - a Netgear DGN2200. Since then, I've been losing the internet occasionally - maybe 2/3/4 times per week. Only for a few seconds/minutes at a time, but it's still annoying. I don't remember it being like this before (but possibly it was...)

Is there a way of telling (from the modem stats maybe) if it's (A) an upstream problem, and the modem is trying its best or (B) it's the modem that keeps dropping the connection?

Thanks

When it is working does it work at the same speed or is it slower at times?

Are you using the same cables to the phone socket and computer or the new ones that came with the new router? You might try swapping them.

If the old router is still working have you tried swapping it back?

Had a similar problem years ago and had to get the line tested. Turned out to be a dodgy connection up a pole somewhere outside. It didn't fail all the time but would go slow then speed up and sometimes just stop. Worked better in hot weather and almost ground to a halt when it rained. So whilst there is free software out there that can check the line from your end if the problem continues I would suggest you get the line checked. Normally they can do this while you're on the phone and at least you will know the problem is at your end or not.

Hi, Quillan

I think it's running at the same speed - certainly, it's not noticeably slower. Same cables as well - all I did was swap the box. The simplest thing will be to reverse the swap and try the old box - I'll try that this weekend.

If that doesn't change anything, I'll try swapping all the bits and pieces at my end - I've a box full of cables, filters etc.

Then, and only then, will I approach FT...

Cheers

[quote user="Ian"]Hi, Quillan

If that doesn't change anything, I'll try swapping all the bits and pieces at my end - I've a box full of cables, filters etc.

Cheers
[/quote]

If you swap cables use the new ones that came with the new router. They will have been tested before they left the factory and I have never know a new cable from that particular manfacturer to fail on instalation.

I had several mini disconnections (just a second before it came back) which were enough to make the box need to restart.

They were finally traced to a faulty connection in the square nearby, and on a second occasion to some work being done to repair a neighbour's façade.

In other words it might be external