Hi

Please accept my apologies if this has been covered before, but I am trying to find instructions on providing wifi to a holiday cottage. I have an Orange acc and from what I have found, it is not the best for privacy. Is there an 'idiots' guide to public wifi and risk or a system where wifi can be offered without putting my privacy at risk available, if not, has anyone used a wifi dongle (not sure if correct name) as a solution for guests to use. Unfortunately, I can't change from orange as it is my main contact for business etc. I will go to the orange shop later in the week to see what they can do, but in the meantime, any help or advice from fellow forum members would be much appreciated, thank you for taking the time to read my post!!

Jessie

Hi Chancer,

Many thanks for your reply, I think I may have not explained my concerns clearly, being a computer novice, When I have visited B&B's and holiday cottages in the past that have offered their wifi on their orange live box, when I log onto the Orange site (my default) it automatically went to their account where I could see their emails and orange account details. This is where my concern lies, I know there is the option to 'log off' but it is a working account and I am on and off all day long, so didn't want to do that. There is also the question of Hadopi (not sure correct spelling) and how that impacts.

Maybe I am being over cautious, but I don't want anyone to be able to access my account and emails which is why I am looking for info/advice on any options that are available, or not as the case may be. Thanks again

Scary!

Do you not have password access to your Orange account?

I am just burying my head in the sand regarding Hadopi, in the absence of anything concrete that I could do to enforce their uninforceable rules I will continue to wait for a warning and if I get one will tell them what they can do with it.

I havn't actually heard of any innocent hebergeur who cannot control what their guests do recieving anything more than a worthless letter of warning. Your concerns over your Orange account are much more relevant.

Sorry I cannot advise you as I am with Free, the only precaution that I have is that I have a seperate router for the guest Wi-Fi network so they do not have the code to access my Freebox Wi-Fi, I was told that even sharing the Freebox Wi-Fi it would need to be someone very IT savvy to be able to access my computer but with the seperate router nobody could, I dont understand the nuts and bolts of it and dont even know if the advice was correct or that I have correctly related it (before anyone corrects me!) but the additional router seemed a good idea and it is located in a position which gives the rental apartment the best signal, the Freebox giving myself the better signal.

Hi Chancer

Many thanks for your reply. Yes my account does have a password, but as soon as I log into the email, everything is accessible. Thanks for the info about second router, will look into it although I have no idea on how to do it! There are a couple of French computer repair shops close to our town they may be able to give advice on how to connect and what to get and maybe do the installation if I can't figure it out. Thanks again

How quickly we forget !

If you are with Orange then by default you only have to go to go to Orange.fr to land in your A/C ready logged in and able to do anything and everything, that also applies to anybody you give the WiFi key to !

The only way to prevent that is to create a second eMail A/C then you - and anybody else - will require your prime use ID & PW to access the same information.

The best you can do with Orange is to create a guest A/C but it doesn't isolate you from any illegal activity.

Sorry to contradict you E but for some time now the security situation you describe has been changed.

Following a firmware update from about April 2015, it is now not the case that you need to have a secondary email account with Orange to prevent automatic login to your account.

If you go to Orange.fr you need to use your password to gain access to your account. There is no longer any automatic recognition of your account.

The crazy situation about secondary email address to avoid automatic recogniton has been quietly dropped from the assistance pages.

http://assistance.orange.fr/ne-pas-etre-automatiquement-identifie-sur-orange-fr-544.php

now just redirects to

https://assistance.orange.fr/assistance-commerciale/l-identification/gerer-vos-comptes-orange/creer-un-compte-ou-une-adresse-mail-secondaire_71892-72751

So in order to access your account/mails you need to log in with password.

https://assistance.orange.fr/assistance-commerciale/l-identification/gerer-vos-mots-de-passe/orange.fr-la-securite-de-votre-compte-orange-evolue_77777-78739

So essentially, for Jessie, anyone who uses your wifi (with your access code) cannot read you mails or your account.

You are, however, totally responsible for any usage of the wifi. Including obviously anything illegal.

Danny

[quote user="jessie"]Many thanks everyone for your replies, I will ask Orange to set up a separate user account for the wifi, thanks again[/quote]

You cannot ask Orange to do this.

It is not possible to have a separate user account in this sense.

There is however already built in to your internet service a shared wifi which you can turn off or on as you like.

This uses your livebox to access the internet but it is only for other Orange users who have to log in with their details. This is not much use to you if your guests are not French and customers of Orange.

The only way to offer free wifi to all guests is to allow them to use your wifi access with your wifi code with the provisos I mentioned in the previous post.

Danny