Still alive thanks to her dogs

A Cocker Spaniel breeder in northern France collapsed from a cerebral haemorrhage alone at her home.  She was found four days later with her sixteen dogs huddled round her.  She is now in hospital paralysed down one side and cannot speak.  The doctors say the dogs certainly helped to keep her warm and conscious.

She lived on her own and had no family and apparently the dogs have been taken to a refuge.  They do not think she will ever be well enough to take care of them herself again.

A very sad story, but everyone is rallying round to do all they can for her and her dogs.

http://www.spanielclub.net/forumnew/viewtopic.php?id=246&p=1

How tragic.  No greater love is shown to man but from a true friend - a dog - what a pity then that in too many cases its not reciprocal.    Wish I lived out in France already as we would certainly take a dog as a pal for our Mastiff/Labrador cross, but I know that when the time comes and we move into our longere it won't be a question of "maybe...."   I will be the batty Anglaise with the menagerie!

This sad story reminded me of another one

"Joseph Tagg is buried in the Roman Catholic Churchyard. A well-known local sheep farmer who helped found Hope Valley Sheepdog Trials, he lived at Yorkshire Bridge during his later years. He won a succession of prizes throughout the country with his sheepdogs and even sold one to an American for £1,000. This is probably the first time so much money had been raised for the sale of a dog overseas.

On the 12 December 1953, Tagg, aged 85, went out for the last time with his faithful border collie, Tip, and vanished completely. Despite an exhaustive search, neither he nor his dog could be found. It was not until 15 weeks later that Tagg’s remains were discovered by chance, with the faithful Tip completely exhausted lying about five yards away. Somehow, Tip had managed to survive heavy snow, biting winds and freezing temperatures on one of the most hostile stretches of moorland in the country.

Tip was carried back to the rescuer’s lorry and later transferred to a caring home, where she was carefully nursed back to health. Once the story became known, Tip became famous not only in this country, but abroad as well. A year later, in May, 1955 she died. However, the hearts of those that had heard the story were so greatly touched, that a memorial was erected at the western end of Derwent Dam, in memory of Tip."

I hope all those dogs find loving homes.

Hoddy

They will find homes Hoddy, some are even ready to take those fourteen and fifteen years old.  But for the moment the dogs were taken away after a "décision du Tribunal" and it seems that has to be sorted out first.

Your story reminds me of the story of Beth Gellert which always makes me feel sad.

http://www.celtic-twilight.com/otherworld/jacobs/cft/beth_gellert.htm

• 1 month later...