HRT Equine Cruelty !!

I have just returned from the Doctors after a consultation regarding the dreaded 'M'  word [:-))] and I thought that it should be known that the ingredients of Prempak-C,  Premarin and some other non synthetic HRT  treatments contain Equine derived Estrogen.

This is one of the worst cases of animal abuse that is still going on in places like Canada. see this:

http://www.equineadvocates.com/premarin.html

I saw a program about this many years ago and vowed I would never use any drug that uses the barbaric method of obtaining an ingredient.

So ladies please think twice when you next take HRT, is yours Equine derived? There are synthetic ones available.

I have posted this in the 'Animal Welfare' so as to bring it to the attention of as many people as I can.

I have 4 beautiful horses and could never condone anything like this, gives me a hot flush just thinking about it[+o(]

Jackie

Yes, I heard about this dreadful practice about 5 years ago and IMMEDIATELY stopped HRT treatment. The doc said that there was an equally good product (manmade!?) on the market which I duely started. Sorry can't remember name as stopped everything soon afterwards! So do ask for the alternative!  I have made sure all my friends know about what this product entails!

I'm really surprised that you've not heard about this particular form of animal abuse. [blink] I thought it was something that was widely-known... even if one has no immediate need of HRT, it's something one hears discussed on tv and radio... particularly during discussions about "women's things". [:P]

You may find you have to do your own research - when I was prescribed HRT about 10 years ago, I told my mid-40s, usually very well-informed doctor that I wanted the synthetic hormone. He readily agreed, quite understood my views... and promptly prescribed Prempak-C. Duh.

Today my doctor was all set to prescribe Prempak-C to me until I asked if it was the synthetic type, he duly started to look through his drug product book and went through the list until he came up with a non-equine synthetic based one. As it is a country practice with its own dispensary alas it was not in stock which lead me to believe that Prempak-C is the first choice and readily available! Had I not known about the dreadful way they get the estrogen I would now be adding the the market for this product.

Vote with your feet ladies, if there is no market then there will no profit in keeping thees poor animals in this way, they would be better off dead than kept in thees hormone factories

Jackie

Well done Chipie for trying to bring this terrible story to  our attention

What a horror story this is. Makes me so mad that this sort of thing goes on in other countries and our country (UK) seem more concerned with bl**dy foxhunting ( That's another subject  I feel strongly about) than the real cruelty that goes on in the world, Last night I watched a Panorama program about dogfighting absolutely disgusting and they know it goes on, and what do the perpetrators get for that, just a fine and lucky if they get a 2 month prison sentence.

We need to know what is in the drugs we are taking, I'm not an animal rights fanatic but what is happening to thees horses is not acceptable and is barbaric,

I will certainly will try and spread the word as I think most women taking it have no idea how it is produced