Two extra for dinner tonight.

Two hunting dogs walked into our kitchen tonight. Made friends with our dog but not the cats. We've rung the vets with their tattoo numbers but no joy. The vet asked us to take them to her tomorrow.

They seem to have settled down quite well.

[IMG]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/Bugbear2/Huntingdogs.jpg[/IMG]

[:)][:)][:)] they are fastened up for the benefit of our cats.

[quote user="Bugbear"]

Two hunting dogs walked into our kitchen tonight. Made friends with our dog but not the cats. We've rung the vets with their tattoo numbers but no joy. The vet asked us to take them to her tomorrow.

They seem to have settled down quite well.

[:)][:)][:)] they are fastened up for the benefit of our cats.

[/quote]

What a lovely photo and they must have known where to come!   Keep us posted as to what happens with them.    We've concluded that the French are animal owner's rather than animal lover's, two extremes here, but the scales are not well-balanced in favour of a nice life for their "pets", sadly.

You can rest assured that I will see to it that no one will harm these two. They are in good condition and look well cared for. As with every dog I've ever met in france, they are extremely friendly.

If the owners cannot be found, well, two more mouths to feed, when you already have seven, is not really a problem

[quote user="Bugbear"]

You can rest assured that I will see to it that no one will harm these two. They are in good condition and look well cared for. As with every dog I've ever met in france, they are extremely friendly.

If the owners cannot be found, well, two more mouths to feed, when you already have seven, is not really a problem

[/quote]

[:D]Thankyou thankyou.      We found a cat had given birth to 7 kittens in our woodpile in August.   Never been cat people, always dogs for us, however, although our French neighbours said to drown them or drive and dump them, we could'nt do either.    Despite exploring every avenue to find the owner we drew a blank so had mother spayed and through posters and word of mouth and attending animal fayres/functions etc we managed to rehome all 7 kittens.    To home the final 2 took us on a 230 mile round trip, but it was all worth it knowing they'd gone to good homes with caring owners.     Mother is still here, we are told we did'nt find her, she found us.

Well done !!

They look lovely indeed ..

I ve done the same witha  lovely little dog we found, I secretly hoped  he could stay, but we found his owner the next day ...

The poor little dog had just been rehomed because his previous owner had died..

I often see his new owners walk him in the neighbourhood..

Makes me happy to see he s well treated ..

[IMG]http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/regine79/ththz13177923.jpg[/IMG]

Merry Christmas to all animal lovers!

[quote user="47AJM"][quote user="Bugbear"]

[/quote]

[:D]Thankyou thankyou.      We found a cat had given birth to 7 kittens in our woodpile in August.   Never been cat people, always dogs for us, however, although our French neighbours said to drown them or drive and dump them, we could'nt do either.    Despite exploring every avenue to find the owner we drew a blank so had mother spayed and through posters and word of mouth and attending animal fayres/functions etc we managed to rehome all 7 kittens.    To home the final 2 took us on a 230 mile round trip, but it was all worth it knowing they'd gone to good homes with caring owners.     Mother is still here, we are told we did'nt find her, she found us.

[/quote]

Our neighbour bought two kittens over a couple of months ago - we would have had them if we were in France permanently but we are not... She came over later to tell us her husband had strangled them - I was really upset.  Definitely a different attitude here.

Have you tried contacting the National Dog Register in Paris?  Their number is 01 49 37 54 54 and they will be able to look up the tattoo number and tell you the dog's registered owner.  BUT, I know from bitter experience they are not open most, if any, of the weekend.  Good luck.

Chrissie (81)

Well, a good update.

We took them to the local vet this morning and they were scanned for a microchip. The owner lives about three miles from us and the vet kindly rang them. To say they were pleased would be an understatement.

They agreed to come to our house to collect them and have just left with two happy dogs. A bottle of Champagne was left as a thank you.

My old boxer has just shown a sigh of relief and has retired to his bed and the cats have returned from their hidey-holes.

All in all a result.

Gary.

[quote user="Bugbear"]

Well, a good update.

We took them to the local vet this morning and they were scanned for a microchip. The owner lives about three miles from us and the vet kindly rang them. To say they were pleased would be an understatement.

They agreed to come to our house to collect them and have just left with two happy dogs. A bottle of Champagne was left as a thank you.

My old boxer has just shown a sigh of relief and has retired to his bed and the cats have returned from their hidey-holes.

All in all a result.

Gary.

[/quote]

[:D]Good news, and thanks for the update.       If only all the stray dogs we see roaming around on our travels were lucky enough to head towards people such as yourselves.     Love France, but we really hate the level of "care" shown to some animals.     Before I get shot-down we appreciate we can't come here and tell folk how to do things, but neglect amounts to cruelty in our eyes and seeing a beautiful dog tethered to the end of a 2 metre length of rope, never to be acknowledged by an occasional pat on the head, barking and barking, is so upsetting.    Seeing even more dogs roaming during August staring at our passing car, hoping its their returning owners is something that upsets us too.       Cats/kittens looked on as vermin touches a nerve.     Yes, there are two extremes, and lots of people do care for their animals, but we still wish there were more out there prepared to  help these animals.    

Yes its so sad.   I heard an announcement by the local SPA on the radio other day saying about the huge increase in numbers of abandoned animals they expect over holiday season (as in UK also).     Anyway they also mentioned that there will be food collections in supermarkets over the period to help to cope with what they anticipate wll be the extra demand.     So look out for them at your local supermarket.    I am a complete sucker and haven't been able to go in a supermarket in the last week without plonking something in the basket.   OH is trying to reign me in, but I keep getting the guilts !!

[quote user="londoneye"]Yes its so sad.   I heard an announcement by the local SPA on the radio other day saying about the huge increase in numbers of abandoned animals they expect over holiday season (as in UK also).     Anyway they also mentioned that there will be food collections in supermarkets over the period to help to cope with what they anticipate wll be the extra demand.     So look out for them at your local supermarket.    I am a complete sucker and haven't been able to go in a supermarket in the last week without plonking something in the basket.   OH is trying to reign me in, but I keep getting the guilts !![/quote]

We do the same londoneye.    Yes the UK has its share of neglect and cruelty too, sadly.  Would'nt it be nice if the SPA could operate the same as the RSPCA, ie there were inspectors available to come out and see the neglect and do their professional duties to alleviate the suffering.     We were told that each Mairie gives an amount to their local SPA each year, we think it would be a good idea for some of this to be given to the local vets to offset the costs of spaying/neuturing, or better still, each local vet allow one surgery period to be dedicated to giving free spaying/neuturing, they can still make a healthy living from the vast profits they make.