Beautiful German Shepherd girl, Deux-Sèvres (79)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've managed to contact the owner and they have now moved into their smaller home.  Lizzie is not at all happy with the change and constantly crying at the door to go outside as she was used to total freedom but this is not possible here.

I have explained my situation re arrangements (made when I was unaware that I'd be taking in another dog), and we are meeting up at Nante on the 18th now.  So, here's hoping all goes well for everyone!  Will keep everyone informed and posting photographs of course.

Thank you very much for the good news Spanielle !   [kiss]

If you can believe the owner has not even contacted me to let me know, after not wanting to put ads herself and saying she was counting on me to find a solution.

So pleased for Lizzie though.  Thank you all and please keep us posted Spanielle.   [:)]

No, there is noone for them yet Lesley, so please keep chatting.  Where are you ?

Edit :  Now I see, you're really close to them !  [:)]

If it helps, I've offered to pay for them to come out, that means vaccinated and identified.  Someone very kind on here gave me something to help the animals, so that is where it is going.

Here's another one in Deux-Sèvres (Niort).  I have been waiting to post her in case she was claimed by her owners as she is tattooed, but so far no one has bothered about her.

Her name is U Belle.  She is just four years old, born 31st October 2003.  Someone has been to the fourrière of Niort this afternoon and says she is very friendly and fine with children.  She's another very good looking German Shepherd.  Anyone for U Belle ?

I don't wish to criticise Lizzie's owner futher as has been said, we don't really know the full circumstances.  However I don't buy that 'small garden' excuse.  When I got my deerhound we had a small terraced house with a yard.  I am not saying it wasn't difficult and required motivation but it is perfectly possible.  I simply made sure he got a good walk every day and found some open space for him to run (which was also difficult because the place was full of sheep).  He was a perfectly happy, not to say well toned dog.  Thinking about it, various neighbours also had large dogs in the same circumstances, among them german shepherds and rottweillers.  These circumstances are not ideal for a dog but with the right will it can be done.

I'm so glad.  They, more than most, really tugged my heart strings but I have a 4 year old daughter and could not risk taking on an older large dog, let alone two.

So good to hear that someone is giving them a home.  I grew up with GSDs and know how wonderful they can be.

Lynda

[quote user="mossie"]I don't wish to criticise Lizzie's owner futher as has been said, we don't really know the full circumstances.  However I don't buy that 'small garden' excuse.  [/quote]

I spoke with the owner and it wasn't just the small garden, or as I understood it no garden. It was that the property they were renting belonged to the commune and the commune would not allow her to keep dogs there.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

This is Spaniel(le) here - change of screen name as I can't log in with the other one for some reason so I've created this one.  Lizzie is with me now as I met the owners yesterday in Nantes as arranged.   They were rather upset at parting with her and I can understand why!

After an initial wrinking of nose and showing of teeth from Lizzie at first intro to the Yorkie, we had a completely peaceful evening and night.  She really is FRIGHTENED of other dogs, even an old placid Yorkie! However, we have now reduced from a snarl to a small yelp of alarm if he happens to go near her which is an improvement. She's settling in very well indeed. Photographs will be posted when my batteries are charged on the camera.

Some more good news, apart from Lizzie, all the other German Shepherds on this thread have been rescued.

The three at Béthune have been saved by an association and gone to Germany.  Yesterday U Belle from Niort came out

[IMG]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a363/Bechamel/Pic1206.jpg[/IMG]

She's another very beautiful girl.  She has gone to a lovely English family with children, another dog, cats, horses and donkeys.  As long as she gets on well with them all, which she should as she is very good natured, she will have a wonderful life with them.   [:)]

Hi Christine

Belle is doing extremely well - she has settled in beautifully and is great with kids and chickens! Our other dog is gradually settling down but it is fair to say she is not best pleased with her new Xmas friend (nor are the cats but they are slowly venturing back to the house) - I am sure that they will all settle down over the next few days / weeks! Belle is a little concerned about the horses and donkeys but we're guessing she's not seen them before so I am sure she will soon relax around them. We went out for the first time today and came back to a calm Belle and a complete kitchen - we were all very happy! She really has a lovely temperament and we have all fallen in love with her so she is definately one of the family already. She is very thin but has a healthy appetite and we are hoping that she will soon start to put some weight back on.

Thanks for all your help in finding Belle - good luck for 2008!

Well, hello Dobsie !  Thank you for the good news.  I had been wondering, but was pretty confident by the lovely dog and the lovely family that all would be well.  Belle must have had a marvellous Christmas with you.  [:D]

We'll get her spayed as soon as you are ready and as you can guess, en attendant we shall all exige a photo, please !   [:D]

And thank you again for Belle, we couldn't have hoped better for her.