cry for help from Spain

I have just received this email from a dog refuge near Madrid - she writes..........

.......we are again distressed - we were delighted to have taken 40 galgos to France for adoption since January but in 3 days we have received another 23. Of which 8 were rescued from gypsies, one of them was dying of hunger. If we don't accept them the hunters and the gypsies will not take them to the dog pound as it costs 20 euros so they will suffer a terrible death.

We are in despair - what can we do? There is a high bill at the vets, we owe too much money there. And for the food, it is chaos, how to feed so many dogs? , more than 60 dogs in excess, more than usual.....

This time of year is the end of the hunting season in Spain and this is the reason that so many galgos are being abandoned. Without rescue by these refuges these dogs face a certain and horrific death - burning, hanging, starvation.The website www.levriers.net is the french contact for Amigos de Los Galgos from whom this email came - if anyone can do anything to help please please do.

Hi

I have just adopted a five year old galgo from Amigos de los Galgos.  What a fantastic animal!  Every time I look at him I want to cry.  He has suffered so much at the hands of these hunters in Spain,  scars everywhere, broken teeth and a broken muzzle and yet he is the most lovable dog I have ever known.  I can't understand how these dogs can ever trust a human being again after the mistreatment they receive but they are just so adorable and only want to be loved and cuddled.  Contrary to popular belief, they do not need much excercise and are in fact couch potatoes.  If anyone has even the tiniest space please consider adopting one of these gentle creatures. I already had 3 dogs but when I learned of the cruelty I just had to do something.  Go on - it might be the best thing you ever did.

http://www.levriers.net/

http://www.levriers-en-danger.fr/

That's wonderful Mimi.  If we can't adopt one, we can at least try to help those who are doing all they can for these poor dogs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfkhzxp67KQ

It's no good just saying how awful it is without doing anything.  They need money for the vets and food, come on, I'll kick off and I'm sending fifty euros, hoping more of you will follow.   [:)]

that's fantastic - you are right, if everyone gave just a little bit it would add up to a lot and make a huge difference.  I have also sent a donation - there is a paypal facility on the site www.levriers.net and also they can accept euro cheques.  Nuria speaks english so she can be contacted on the [email protected] address.

thank you to everyone who can help.

Hi

Yes, please, I want to send 50€ too. I clicked on their website to pay by Paypal but not sure what to do (all foreign!!). Please can you talk me through it?

Also, if you will send me some leaflets to print off, I'll see what I can do, no promises but I can only try. It's such a shame.

We adopted Roqui, our Podenco, a few weeks ago and he's such a gem. At only 10 months old, he just seems like he's been here before! He just wants to please and he's such a pleasure to have around. He's really settled down with us and some of his antics are so funny he makes us smile a lot! We were concerned that our property isn't fenced and, although we are in the countryside, we were worried that he might wander off. Well, he obviously knows when he's well off (he does seem very intellegent!) as he often sits, looking out over the fields, at the edge of our property but, so far, hasn't been tempted to venture. He really is delightful and I can recommend to anyone considering giving one of theses poor dogs a home, to go ahead....you won't regret it.

I've now began sewing doggie coats, made out of old anoraks and have lots of people looking out for anoraks so I can make more to at least give these poor Spanish dogs some comfort.

Come on folks, lets rally round and give a little money to help. I know there are lots of good causes but this is near to our hearts. After all, who can resist a poor defenseless animal?

By the way, where's Magnolia? Hope she's ok. I've e-mailed her but not had a reply. Anyone else heard from her lately?

Anna, good to hear from you too!  If you want to send via Paypal you have to open an account with them first.  I did it last weekend to save a mare from the butcher !

But Magnolia is around, she posted the same message from Nuria today and gave her address in Spain.  I might send a cheque directly to her with a little note, more personal, so she knows we are thinking of her.

Nuria Blanco

Amigos de los Galgos

C/oña 147-9˚-2

Madrid

Espagne

Hi Christine

I already have an account set up with Paypal for Ebay. I could send a cheque but I think they may have to pay bank charges on a French Euro cheque if cashed in Spain. Can I use my Paypal account, already set up? If so can you tell me what to do? If so, I can send a little note to Nuria to let her know I've paid the money by Paypal and tell her we're all thinking of her and the poor Galgos and, hopefully there will be others who will follow suit, no matter how small a donation they can give as it will all help.

Anna, yes I thought that afterwards that they may have to pay something on a cheque.  I've had a look at the Paypal link on their site and it's all in Spanish!  I filled out the amount at the top of the page, then went to the Paypal box on the right, filled in my email adress, then password below and clicked on the yellow box below and it seemed to work!

That's a very good idea your "anorak coats".  Look forward to photos!

Hi Christine and All

Yes, paid by Paypal on the site www.levriers.net  As Christine said, I just filled in the amount and clicked on the Paypal box on the right, filled in my e-mail address and my Paypal password, clicked on the yellow box, then it came up in English and voila, job done. Really easy! I hope more people will feel it in their hearts to make a donation too. I'll just have to cut down on the groceries this week.....we'll have baked potatoes for dinner a few times.....very filling and cheap and I shan't tell the family why!!!!

Hopefully will have my first "anorak doggie coat" finished soon and will post a photo. I'll try to get Roqui to be my model!! That is if he stands still long enough to take a photo!

Just a PS to let you know that I've received an e-mail receipt from Paypal and also a donation notification e-mail from Nuria Blanco, which says: "Thank you very much for your donation. We shall use this entirely for our galgos rescue mission. This is the end of the hunting season and we have lots of galgos waiting for help in the refuges.
Yous donation is very much welcome.
Thanks a lot"

So, good to know it's worked  and the donations are going where they're most needed. Hope this encourages more of you to make a donation too.

I did the Paypal route - you just write some sort of reference for yourself in the first box and put the amount in euros in the second box and then press the coloured button underneath that table.  It will then ask you to sign in with your password as usual and it then reverts to your own language to give you confirmation of what you are giving and to whom, so that's nice and reasuring.  It will give you an exchange rate that will be used if necessary (my Paypal account draws off an English bank account)

Hope that helps.  Re the coats - have just finished one of my "knitted squares" coats and am working on the next.  It's a good job dogs are colourblind (I think) as they are very garish and any dog wearing one of these will have to be called Joseph.......

Chrissie (81)

Great Chrissie. It's lovely to think that we can all make a difference to these poor dogs and also give a boost to the volunteers in Spain too to know that others do care enough to send a donation.

Any chance of a photo of you doggie coat of many colours? It sounds pretty and cosy!

Hi Everyone

I am about but up to my eyes with things to do. [;-)] I'm off to spain this weekend to pick up a litter of puppies from a refuge to bring back to homed. If anyone's interested drop me a line. They're all going to be fostered in as lovely home near Toulouse but i'll get some photo's of the ones still available.

Hi Anna. I will be in touch I promise. The blankets you donated to Nuria were gratefully received along with Majic's donations of food and blankets. Have you started on the coats? I've started knitting [8-)] but i've only gotten as far as casting on and it's so bad that I have to undo it all and start again. I really am pants at it but i will persevere [blink]

Anyway, i'll be in touch again soon once i'm a little more organised [:D]

Well, here comes a picture of my first dogcoat - sadly we have no models at present so a couple of chairs had to stand in.  I lined it with a bit of old curtain to make it more sturdy, and OH has donated a couple of ties for the belly bands (not visible here).    Be warned - this coat is using up the more muted squares - the next one has the bright reds and things to come.....!  As I am a slow knitter I must ask around and see if I can get squares from other people and then all I have to struggle with would be the neckhole bits.

[IMG]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb196/chrissie_081/levriercoat1.jpg[/IMG]

Chrissie (81)

Glad you all like it - as soon as I get the second one finished I'll post them off.

Meanwhile, can anyone who has one of these dogs comment on the size?  It seems very large to me.  I copied it off the greyhound site and it's basically a square of 2 ft, plus the curvy bits for the neck.  Should I try some smaller ones in future, as I suppose they have puppies and small females...(?)

Chrissie (81)