Please remember the wild birds this week....

With temperatures for the Limousin forecast down to -11c this week, can we please remember to put out food for the wild birds.

Nuts, seeds, fat & unfrozen water are all essential to their survival in these temperatures.

We have seen birds frozen stiff on the branches before now & it's a horrible sight. This morning, we had a Magpie visit us with frost on his back.

We're all struggling in the credit crunch, but I'm willing to give up my extra glass of wine to save them, hope you are.

Happy New Year

nice reminder and you get well rewarded if you keep your bird table and feeders topped up. We have a wide selection of birds that come for a free meal and also a red squirrel who is getting braver and coming closer to the house. I think he raids the bird table, but what could I put out for him specially?

I've already been out 4 times today as the water in the bird dishes keeps freezing.They have had a varied diet today of the usual Sun flower seeds,fat balls,broken walnuts,bread but have the extra of Tagliatelli/rice and old weetabix. As I can see 10 varieties of bird outside the kitchen window at the moment I presume they like the menu.One "Redstart",I think,  has been in the garden for about 5 weeks now and yesterday we had 2 Goldfinches eating the seeds on the Hibiscus bushes. I thought they would be long gone by now? Each morning I have to open the greenhouse door to let the nightly collection out.There is a small hole in one sheet of glass and they have found it's warmer in than out. The Jenny Wrens are braving the bird table but not sure what they eat up there?

Regards.

I spend a fortune on 10kg bags of sunflower seeds all the year round! I would not mind too much if the three red squirrels would not scoff them all every morning.

We bought some coconuts to cut in half and hang from the trees, which the birds love, but have found that the squirrels can pull them up into the branches and scoff them too.

What reward do I get for feeding the little feathered ones? Bird poo all over the car.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Yes, Steve, we all know what a hard life you have out there.  Remember telling us about the 4 X 4, the room service, the lazing about in the sun...................

You just can't please some people..........[;-)]

[/quote]

Its tough in the Gulf when the fridge is broke,

and there's no fresh ice for your drink.

When the aircons off and the showers dont work

and you sweat so much that you .....perspire gently.  [:P]