Rescue dog teeth dilemma

Help please!

There is a lovely dog at the Carcassonne SPA. A teeny tiny beagle. She is about 8 and is very very timid. She has some arthritis in her front left leg, and her teeth are in a terrible state. One of the incisors is completely coated with really black tartar. Part of me would like to give her a home, but part of me doesn't think i can stand the heartache (just lost a beagle before Xmas) and also I don't think it would be fair to take her and not look after her to the absolute best of my ability, which means getting her teeth done.Has anyone any idea how much this is likely to cost in France? Had our last beagle's done in UK and it was £400....

Thanks for any words of wisdom!

It sounds to me, Rowan, that you are half way to adopting her.  I know the oldies come with some problems but what sort of existance do they have at this time. She could give you many years of devotion.   Some Vets do allow monthly payments so worth enquiring. We spent an absolute fortune on our old Lady who died last year, money we could ill afford but she was worth very penny or should I say euro. Good luck in your decision and you must do what is best for you and the little lady Beagle.

[quote user="Rowan"] Had our last beagle's done in UK and it was £400....

Thanks for any words of wisdom![/quote]

Crikey; I agree with CAnimal in that we had a couple of our cats teeth detartered (sp?) in the UK just a few years ago and we paid about £80 for the op and aftercare for each cat - and our vet, in Lincoln, was certainly well-regarded and not at all cheap!

Sue

I posted a reply to this the other day, but it has gone walkabout! Will repeat:

We had the same sort of problem with one of our rescue dogs. He was put under and had all teeth cleaned and 3 or 4 rotten ones removed. Cost in Sep 08 was about 135euros.

Do ask your vet for a rough quote.

Chrissie (81)

Thanks, Chrissie

Yes, I think things like this are much cheaper over here, but as you can imagine it is not just about money...Having just lost a dog in a tragic accident, I am not ready to lose one any time soon (or ever)! But I don't think anyone else is going to take this little lady, so I am prepared to do so. As long as my rather grumpy terrier will accept her. But she will be no threat to him, so he should be okay.

Rowan

I knew you were weakening, Rowan. I am delighted for you and I am sure your little terrier will accept her in time. I have had rescue dogs for many years and a gentleman and a lady dog normally are fine. Sometimes two boys will clash but a friend of mine has three recue boys and they all get on great.  Once  you  get this lovely little lady please try to put some pics on here for all to admire her.  [:D]  

Oh, I am very weak! Especially when it comes to beagles....But there are so many lovely dogs at Carcassonne SPA (and in all the other refuges, I am sure) and when you only have room for one more it is hard to decide. We have a huge garden and a very active lifestyle, and they would benefit a much more active dog, whereas anyone could take this little lady, even someone in a flat. Problem is, I have convinced myself that no one could take as good care of her as I can...

Will keep you posted!