Rottweiler experienced home needed

Two very special dogs are going to need a home shortly due to tragic family circumstances.  They are presently in the Gers on a large estate of land.  They are brother and sister, 3 years old, English pedigree, fully vaccinated, neutered and have up to date UK passports.  For reasons which will become apparant these dogs will not be allowed to go to an inexperienced home and anyone who feels they can give them a good home that will suit their needs will be carefully vetted to make sure the dogs will be part of the family and given the time, space and environment they need.  They are stunning Rottweilers who have been brought up as family pets and are very soft and cuddly - NOT for guard dogs or trophy/status dogs, or the hard image!  They need to stay together because the male is mothered by the female and would not do well on his own.  If you feel you might be interested, please email me and I can supply further information and pictures.  The owner will not give up till she finds the right home but her health is not good and has been made worse by recent family events - this IS NOT a case of someone off-loading her dogs and she is looking to re-home them as a last resort and whilst they are still young to give them what she thinks is a better chance. She is also in contact with the breeder back in the UK. 

Good luck with this one Merlin.  There are 2 rottis in the refuge at Cahors as well - male and female - who are probably related.  They need special homes with people who are experienced handlers, as you say, but can be lovely pets if they have not been maltreated or used as guard dogs.  Don't forget that people who own rottis have to undergo various administrative procedures in France by law as they are category 1 dogs.  People should be aware of this... 

Jouals

Yes I understand that Jouals and the more I look at rescue sites for people the more Rotties I see needing homes.......... it's scary and very sad.  Incidentally, I need to adjust my post above, I said the both were neutered and actually I was wrong - the boy is still entire but his sister has been done!  I think they are going to struggle with these dogs which is such a big shame as they are truly wonderful natured dogs and would make the right someone delightful companions.

Just hope there is someone out there for them!  The 2 at the Refuge in Cahors have been there for some time now.  I can vouch for the fact that they can be lovely, friendly dogs though, I know someone who has a rotti who is a big softy!  Pity she has not got room for 2 more...

Jouals

Well I was shocked to learn that the UK breeder has advised they be put down!  She is unwilling to help clearly and having scanned the rescue sites today, I discover there are LOADS of Rotties!  I am really depressed this evening as I have had five emails since nine o'clock with sad tales of dogs needing urgent help - the last one of a starving dog with her eight week old puppy in tow practically collapsing on this lady's doorstep......... she's feeding them but is leaving for New Zealand in three weeks time and if she takes them to the local Spa they have already said they will destroy them.  She doesn't know what to do and neither do I.......  She's down in the Gers (Condom) if there happens to be anyone reading this tonight who might have the heart to help.

These two are now about to be pushed from pillar to post and their 'carer' (only for the next two weeks) is beside herself to try to get them some help.  Their future is looking extremely bleak and short lived!!  The boy takes his Larry the Lamb to his basket and cuddles it and whimpers as if he knows there is trouble ahead......... it's SO sad!

At the moment they are being looked after by an English pet sitter but they are about to be moved into kennels during the next two weeks and then nobody really knows what will happen to them!  The pet sitter has already cancelled a couple of sits to stay with them as long as possible to try and see if she can home them but she has already done more than her share and can't let any more people down and she is booked solid till the winter.  They are going to be very stressed and desperately confused - they are still reeling from losing their master who died recently and cling to anyone who gives them time and affection.  It's heartbreaking it really is.

I wish we could apply to adopt them, but we have three dogs already, one a Rottweiler. She is our third rescue Rottweiler and considers her French Category 2 dangerous dog licence quite insulting. I could rabbit on for ages about how wonderful Rottweilers are, but I would bore everyone to tears.

The two dogs are from the UK and have valid passports. If all else fails, why not contact the UK Rottweiler Welfare Association and see if they can take them for re-homing? Their site http://www.rottweilerwelfare.co.uk/ also has a wealth of information about the breed and what those looking to adopt should know. In the meantime, my prayer wheel is at the steady turn for these two beautiful dogs.

• 3 weeks later...
These two beautiful dogs are now running out of time and their future is becoming uncertain.  Their 'minder' / English pet sitter is having to move on to another job.  She has managed to organise for her brother-in-law to come over from England to sit till early September, but after that ................ we just don't know.  I hear you all say well what is the owner doing about it?  Good question.  She is ill in the UK and her family are not prepared to let her return and seem to have little affection for the dogs - hence they are likely not to give them too much thought!!  The pet sitter took them to the vet to have their 'comportment test' and here is what the sitter wrote to me..:-

<<For all of you who are helping to find this gorgeous pair a new home ...

Gaston and Gabrielle went for their 'comportment test' yesterday which

is now the law in France.  It's a lengthy procedure (over 2 hrs) and they are tested

for social skills, signs of aggression, obedience and just general

comportment/reactions to stimuli.  They passed on everything with flying

colours - each stage having earned grade 1 out of 4 each time.  As

with all these things, you just never know - strange surroundings,

strange smells of the vet clinic, a guy they don't know at all prodding them and pushing them around - but

they behaved how they always do.

So basically - as the vet said -

they show no signs of aggression at all (as Gaston was licking his

face!), are very sociable and well balanced animals and even responded to his commands in

French - although were better in English !  In fact as we were leaving, I

went to put the muzzles on them, and the vet laughed and said 'stupid law' ! 

But as he then added, but if they did want to bite, they would do more

damage than a yorkshire terrier!

We will be sent the certificate /

documentation within the next week.  The second and final stage is an

owner handling day which is in October. 

I'm SO proud of them.>>

I have pictures if anyone can think of a way of helping these to two lovely dogs.  Thanks.

I do not want to tread on any toes, but this is becoming desperate. I just wonder if there is someone out there who would like to take these two babies on, but is put off by the Rottweiler experienced home requirement. My wife and I have been members of the UK Rottweiler Welfare Association (RWA) for over twenty years and adopted our first Rottie from them in 1987. We had no previous experience of the breed; he had had experience of a brutal owner. Lots of love and lots of veterinary bills later, we had a loving, grateful and gentle pet who became a big (50kg) favourite with all of the neighbours. Our second Rottie from the RWA was a girl. She was a little waif with a dreadful history who had to be woken from nightmares for many months after she joined us. Again, lots of TLC and we were repaid tenfold; she was a dolly. The present incumbent is another girl, adopted in France, daft as a brush and very affectionate to all and sundry. Although when she barks she makes all the windows in the village rattle.

We can ignore the tabloid nonsense about “Devil dogs.” The Rottie is a gentle stalwart whose tranquil gaze manifests good nature. He is slow to anger, but will guard those he loves with his life. Some years back, the RWA re-homed two Rottweilers, a mature brother and sister as I recall, with a pensioner couple who had no experience of the breed whatsoever. It was a success story.

These two little ones who need a home now have no adverse history. The recent veterinary assessment is clear evidence that they would not be a problem with the right people. The assessment is done, they can be put on household insurance at no extra premium, or so I found, the new owner would have to do a silly aptitude course for about four hours (the most complex bit on my course was how to put a choke chain on a dog!) and then it’s off to the Mairie for the permis. Incidentally, Rotties are class 2 dangerous dogs, not class one. As to the muzzle in public, I carry one just in case, but my friend Hubert and I exercise our dogs off leash together and Hubert is a captain in the Gendarmerie Nationale.

I confidently predict that whoever takes these two on will bless the day they did it. And Merlin, you have my unqualified respect and admiration for all that you do to save such as these little ones, who find themselves innocent victims of circumstance. My prayer wheel is still turning.

Beau Gus - for sure everything you say about this breed can more than be applied to these two, Gaton and Gabrielle, thank you for your postive comments for anyone who might be interested.  I can vouch wholeheartedley for their obedience and characters as I chat to their minder regularly to keep abreast with various options we're working hard to think of.  She is breaking her heart at having to leave them this week but is going to continue to search for help.  I was approached by another potential pet sitter who might be able to take over in September but I'm not entirely sure the owners will approve unless we can check references before allowing someone they don't know on to their property.  We have had some interest from a family but they have other dogs and we're not sure how it will work but they are willing to go and see the dogs...... but, it would be a long journey half way across France and the husband is working abroad at the moment.  So nothing positive in the pipeline as yet for these superb dogs.  But we bash on regardless.  Thanks Beau Gus

Perhaps a little general background information might help anyone thinking of adopting these two.

The Rottweiler is an ancient breed. His ancestors marched with the Roman legions, as herding and guard dogs. When the legions withdrew to Rome, a number of the dogs were left around the town of Rottweil in Germany. In the Middle Ages they were to be found working as butcher’s dogs, hence their full title, “Rottweiler Metzgerhund.” The dogs would pull carts loaded with meat to market and would return home with the day’s takings slung in a leather bag around their necks. There is no recorded instance of a Rottweil butcher being mugged.

Nowadays, as working dogs, they are used in search and rescue, as police dogs, and as guide dogs for the blind. They are not difficult to train and actually enjoy training because they enjoy games. The Rottie is a natural comedian who loves to play and is very gentle when he does.

The “Devil Dog” nonsense began with a film called “The Omen.” Sadly, a Rottweiler figured as the guardian of the Antichrist. A complete miscasting, as Rotties are always on the side of the angels. But it was enough for the yobs to go out and buy “one of them Devil dogs, innit” to impress their moronic associates and to terrify the neighbours. Except that when the poor dog resisted attempts to make him savage, yob got nasty. Eventually, so did the dog, but only with yob. That is how so many dogs came to be rescued by the Rottweiler Welfare Association.

Look at the pictures of Gaston and Gabrielle. Fate has not given them much of a chance now. Will you?