May my dog be epileptic ?

I have a lovely little dog I rescued from a person going back to the UK leaving the dog behind..

So I don't know if what happens to him about once a month already happened to him before.

All of a sudden he starts shivering , he can't walk , last time ( two days ago), his head was " blocked " , he looks at us with eyes that say " give me a cuddle ", he seems lost, so we cuddle him, talk to him to reassure him, .. That lasts about 5 minutes, then he's back to normal , as if nothing had happened.

I 've read on the internet , that dogs that are epileptic have a pee during these " fits" .. Not mine ..

If anyone has had any experience of this, please, share it with me !

PS : Jack is perfectly happy with us , he gets lots of TLC . He's been with us for two years now .

My dog was epileptic. He would go under for anything from a minute to 5. As he got older they got longer.

He would shake, his eyes looked like they were bulging open and he would dribble a lot. He wouldn't make a sound but he looked distressed.

After, he would get up and walk around as if nothing happened.

This started when he was 5 and he had one a year on average but the year he died, he had several. He died of liver failure in the end, I have no idea if this was linked.

Best thing to do when he's having them is to be calm, quiet and just gently stroke him to reassure him.

But get him to a vets and see what options you have for him.

Thanks for your reply.

What makes me wonder about epileptic or not is that he doesn't dribble, which seems to be one of the characteristics of epilepsy .

The rest is the same, the shaking, looking distressed, paralysed for a few minutes then back to normal.

How old was your dog when he died Richard ?

He was just over 10. Had to have him put down last October. He went downhill rapidly.

Next time he has one, if you have one, take a video of him in order to show your vet. Then the vet will be able to make a better diagnosis. I did this with mine.

As he only had a fit seldomly we decided against medication.