Baby hedgehogs

In the last few days, at separate locations, I have rescued three baby hedgehogs; two still had a small number of ivory coloured baby quills and may have been dug from a nest by Destroyer whilst the third was a little larger and able to forage alone.

I was wondering though whether it is not very late for such young animals to have been born and whether they would be likely to survive the winter?

Weight is relevant at this time of year: if a hedgehog weighs less than 600 grams they don't have sufficient "mass" to make it through winter on their own. Someone on one of the forums did overwinter a young, underweight hedgehog successfully and released it the following spring. I seem to remember it ponged rather a lot while in its winter quarters so personally I'd avoid donating a bedroom to them!

Good luck. [:)]

I did rescue two young hedgehogs a few years ago - no idea how they'd lost the mother, but they were wandering around the garden during the day which is never a good sign, and I tried to read all about them so explored most of the links above. They had found relative shelter under a pile of leaves and wood outside, but eventually I took them in - it was a little earlier in the year than now though - they weighed respectively 220g and 290g, so, much too young to be left fending for themselves with the approaching winter.

I put them in the garage, in a large cardboard box which I lined thickly with newspapers, and moss, logs, twigs, leaves etc.... making a little environment for them [geek] and then proceeded to feed them according to what I had read they needed (avoiding bread and cow's milk, very important!). I went and bought some special goat's milk from the health shop [:-))] as well as little bowl with constant water. After a while it turned out that what they loved best was scrambled egg! I also gave them wet catfood, and cat biscuits. They seem perpetually starving, and twitchy when they were hungry, so I kept feeding them. Then the problem was at the other end, it always seemed that if they ate or drank, they immediately needed to defecate and urinate as well. So the worst of it became the cleaning of the box, which had to be done daily. And yes, they do smell. But they are great fun to watch, get up to all sorts of antics. Don't expect to cuddle them though - although I am sure some people might!

These two did recover and strive, though, and when both of them reached the magic 600gr, I ceremoniously took them to a friend with a very large plot of wild land, and released them there. Altogether it took 6 or 7 weeks, as they grew fat really quickly.

My cat left them well alone, although she is usually incredibly curious with all things and all creatures, so that was never a problem. I think perhaps their smell was not to her liking. I don't have dogs, so no idea how that would work.

However, I think it is illegal to "capture" hedgehogs, even if it is to rescue them as I did, as they are a protected species? But I felt they were my responsibility and I would probably do it again... Mind you, in some cultures, hedgehog is considered a delicacy and eaten with great relish  - I have come across people who had eaten them...

Just a comment about the cat keeping its distance.

According to our German vet who is a hedgehog fanatic, hedgehog fleas will transfer to cats and dogs.

Also yu cannot use flea treatments on hedgehogs - so perhaps a good thing the cat kept its distance.!