Crazy Dog

Annabell

Can anybody enlighten me.
Last night, about 10.30 my normally calm labrador started barking at something and she was really going for it. Now I'm here alone at the moment so was very concerned. She kept running up to the front door as if to say something was out there. Now it was very dark so I couldn't see a thing, our neighbour had borrowed our torch to walk home at the weekend so didn't have a clue what it was.
Anyhow, finally managed to get her indoors after much coaxing and when she came in she was very very weird. She was very frightened of me at first and was cowering in the corner, then she got a bit angry and was growling at me.
A moth came in and she ran away as if it was something awful. Even our puppy, who she usually plays with for hours on end was scared of her.
It was like she was hallucinating, her eyes were all over the place and she was running around in circles, she even managed to get under my duvet when I went to the loo, which is also strange as she never gets underneath it.
Now, a few years ago we were having a bbq with our neighbours when one of their dogs licked a toad, our neighbour panicked and put his face under a cold tap straight away and said that the poison sends dogs crazy.
Could it have been a toad?
Has anybody else experienced this or have I just got a completely mad dog?

As no-one else has replied with a more medical suggestion, all I can think of is - was there a thunder storm at the time? Some dogs are very sensitive to thunder and lightening. If his behaviour persists go to the vet's. Pat.

Had an Irish Wolfhound that went "ape" once. Tried to get on window sills, etc. Turned out to be blocked scent glands which were driving him mad.

The "cure".

Had to stick a finger up his "where the sun doint shine" and clear the gland every two months.

Or. You could just go to a vet!

>A moth came in and she
>ran away as if it
>was something awful

>It was like she was hallucinating,
>her eyes were all over
>the place and she was
>running around in circles

Two things come to mind - maybe she was stung which might explain her worrying about the moth

or maybe she had heat stroke , is she black ? you said it was very hot

regs Cal

My money is on a sling/bite or such like. You said she got a bit angry and was growling with you. This is very normal for a dog that is in pain and means no ill will towards you.

Our dog got bit on the inside of the mouth by a bee. After a mad dash round we found her hidding (and I am sure sulking) under a bed with a swollen lip.

As for rushing to the door, dogs can hear and smell things well beyond our ability but they don't have enough sense to be able to judge whether is is actually worth so much fuss )