Rabies Vaccinations in France

Judyc

A neighbour has called me today to tell me that all dogs and cats must now be vaccinated against rabies.  I don't know how wide an area this covers but it must be at least South West France because of the problem with a rabid dog in Perigord.

She tells me that if dogs are caught wandering and the owner cannot provide certification for rabies vaccine they will be destroyed.  The vaccine also takes a month before it is effective, so they must not be allowed to wander in the interim.  (Try telling my dogs they are banned from visiting the neighbours bitches on their daily stroll!)

Our vet has previously advised us it was not necessary to vaccinate, and as we do not take them back to UK on our infrequent trips, we did not think it necessary.  I have rung the vet this afternoon and he has confirmed they must be done.

Hasty trip to the vet.....

Judy

47 Lot-et-Garonne     www.faysselle.com

Our three eldest cats (youngest is only 18months old) always used to have rabies jabs each year as a matter of course until about three years ago when the vet said it wasn't necessary because it has never been in Brittany and France is mostly free now. However, the three are due next month for their annual jabs so I will ask about getting them done again and take the youngest one if she says it should be so. These people make me sick that break this sort of law,but what can you do to punish them except prison for a very long time.

Check with the vet and be thankful that your friend informed you.

Also, around here, dogs are not supposed to balade alone. Which I am quite in agreement with, I may own a dog, but I am truly terrified of dogs and will walk a long way to avoid a dog that it is out on it's own. Ofcourse they are 'always' gentil, but knowing that never allays my terror.

Update from original posting.

Took the dogs and cat to the vet on Wednesday for their jabs and got a little more information.

Vaccination is only necessary in Gironde, Dordogne and Lot-et-Garonne.  It is not compulsory to have dogs vaccinated, but if they are not they must remain enclosed and can only be taken out on a lead and must be muzzled.  Cats should not be allowed to roam!

If dogs are found out wandering and are not tattooed/chipped and owner has no vaccination certificate, they will be taken away and destroyed.

To say our vet was stressed with the number of people descending on him for vaccinations and tattooes for their hunt dogs is a slight understatement......!

Judy

47 Lot-et-Garonne

I've just been told by Defra (literally 2 mins ago) that my three cats have to be vaccinated against rabies even though i am exporting them to (Northern) France with no intention of returning to the UK.

I was told i 'simply need a Pet Passport'. I explained that i was not going back and forth, simply a one way trip. Does this mean that exporting and going on holiday with pets is now subject to the same rules? Again, the standard reply 'You simply need a Pet Passport'!! 

Has anyone else been told the same? 

I've just been told by Defra (literally 2 mins ago) that my three cats have to be vaccinated against rabies even though i am exporting them to (Northern) France with no intention of returning to the UK.

I was told i 'simply need a Pet Passport'. I explained that i was not going back and forth, simply a one way trip. Does this mean that exporting and going on holiday with pets is now subject to the same rules? Again, the standard reply 'You simply need a Pet Passport'!! 

Has anyone else been told the same?