Classified as dangerous dogs

bakerino

Seems to be quite a bit of confusion in France about that. Apparently, when they were classified as needing to by the French Gov. it was a mistake and there have been instructions (letter) available stating that they are not. However, this is not widely distributed (or recognised) and many people/authorities seem to think they do.

Many people think that Staffordshire Bull Terrier included in Guard dogs (Category 2) which means

Must be adult to own one.

Convicted people cannot own one

Must register with local Marie (you can do this on behalf of the dog !!)

Must be vaccinated against rabies

You must take out 3rd party insurance

Must be muzzled and on a lead in public places.

My local commune magazine this year has a section from the mayor where the requirements for such dogs (listing the Staff as one such breed). Somebody at my agility club also said they were (when we were discussing breeds). Whatever the real regs, you are likely to come across a lot of people (many in authority) who think that they are in this category.

Ian

The French law, as originally written, was somewhat ambiguous concerning this particular breed, leading many people to believe the the Staffordshire Bull Terrier was classified as dangerous. As Ian says, there was a clarification issued but not everybody knows about that. So the result is that some people will tell you the restrictions apply to staffies, others will (probably correctly) say they don't.

So you have a choice - you can make sure the dog is muzzled in public where people think it should be (not really any big deal for most dogs, and a quieter life for you) or you can expect to have to argue about it, not necessarily a good idea where many maires, gendarmes etc are concerned. A Frenchman hates to be proved wrong.

one rule applies to one and one for the other!!!!  We have an english bull terrier who doesn't need to be muzzled nor does the staff, i refuse to muzzle him just because some people here can be ignorant and usually have no idea what breed he is anyway!!  I do tend to keep him on a lead just incase as there are alot of cows and sheep here and i don't want him frightening them.  I have seen people standing outside our supermarket with rottweilers, not muzzled, and should be.  French people here, as i have said before, let their dogs run wild and the little cute fluffly things chase us on our bikes and horses and almost bit my little boys ankles whilst cycling past one day.  So beware of the nice looking little fluffy doggies, they can be dangerous!!

Definitively, the Satffordshire Bull Terrier is not a Category 2 dog.  The legislation was a little unclear but has been clarified - see:

http://newspolice.free.fr/page_chiens_dossier.htm

Or, if you prefer (see the last sentence):

"Loi: Code rural, Article 211-1
Cette loi définie 2 catégories de chiens:
Chiens de catégorie 1 (Catégorie Chiens d'attaque)
- Chiens, de race présumée American Staffordshire (American Staffordshire Terrier) ou avec morphologie assimilable, sans pédigree (non inscrits au LOF). Ce type de chiens est aussi appelé Pit-Bulls.
- Chiens, de race présumée Mastiff ou avec morphologie assimilable, sans pédigree (non inscrits au LOF). Ce type de chiens est appelé Boer-Bulls.
- Chiens, de race présumée Tosa ou avec morphologie assimilable, sans pédigree (non inscrits au LOF).
- Les chiens de race présumée "Staffordshire Terrier" sont aussi cités dans le texte de loi original comme appartenant à cette catégories mais aucune race n'est officiellement connue sous cette appellation. Un errata a donc été publié plus tard pour lever ce nom de la liste. Le Staffordshire Bull Terrier qui était concerné à l'origine n'est donc plus inclus dans cette catégorie.
Chiens de catégorie 2 (Catégorie Chiens de défense)
- Chiens de race American StaffordShire avec pedigree (inscrits au LOF).
- Chiens de race Tosa avec pedigree (inscrits au LOF).
- Chiens de race Rottweiler avec pedigree (inscrits au LOF).
- Chiens, de race présumée Rottweiler ou avec morphologie assimilable, sans pedigree (non inscrits au LOF).
- Les chiens de race "Staffordshire Terrier" avec pedigree (inscrits au LOF) sont aussi cités dans le texte de loi original comme appartenant à cette catégorie mais aucune race n'est officiellement connue sous cette appellation. Un errata a donc été publié plus tard pour lever ce nom de la liste. Le Staffordshire Bull Terrier qui était concerné à l'origine n'est donc plus inclus dans cette catégorie."

HTH!

Cannot see a reference to them, but what is the status of Dobermanns?

Normally, people are frightened of this breed of dog which, unless it has trained to be aggressive is extremely friendly and affectionate.

Thanks