Ile de La Réunion - Live Dogs Hooked as Bait to Catch Sharks !

Christine Animal

A few months ago on the Sunday programme "30 Millions d'Amis" we saw a Labrador who had been stolen and managed to escape and get back home with en enormous hook through his top lip.  He was nearly one of the many stray or stolen dogs hooked alive and used as bait to catch sharks at L'Ile de La Réunion.  A vet had to operate to extract the hook.

Yesterday when presenting next week's programme, they showed a young dog saved at the last minute at the harbour with hooks through his feet.  Don't miss next Sunday's programme condemning these atrocities.  They keep changing the time, it's at about 3.30 pm, say 15.20 to be sure.

In the meantime it is possible to sign a petition on their site "Fondation 30 Million d'Amis", where you can also see one of the star's of yesterday's programme, Max the first dog-cameraman helping the south Yorkshire police.

http://www.30millionsdamis.fr/fr/index.asp

Unlike most on this site this is a place I have been to and travelled round. I cannot say that this does not happen, I cannot say that this does happen but it is not a backwater but a beautiful island next to Maurice which has thousands upon thousands of holiday makers - not all French. I am sure that if this was a common habit it would have got into the general news.

I went with a British holiday company and as we all know the Brits are one of the first to snap any animal atrocity and send it off to one of the British newspapers. If I was lucky enough to get enough money together for another good holiday, that I where I would go - a magical place. They seemed to be very very protective regarding the wildlife as it was one of the reasons for going to the island.

Alertés par les actions de la Fondation 30 Millions d’Amis, le Quotidien allemand « Bild » en tête suivi par nombre de ses confrères de l’union comme « The Daily Mail », sensibilisent désormais l’Europe à l’horreur subie par les chiens de la Réunion. La Fondation 30 Millions d’Amis étend ainsi son rayon d’action à l’intérieur des frontières européennes et fait circuler sa pétition en langue allemande et anglaise via son site Internet www.30millionsdamis.fr .

Une fois centralisé et comptabilisé, l’ensemble des signatures sera officiellement remis à M. François Baroin, ministre de l’Outre-Mer, que Reha Hutin, présidente de la Fondation 30 Millions d’Amis à d’ores et déjà alerté de l’urgence de la situation.

http://www.buzznet.com/buzzwords/reunion%20island?id=1573565