Rhodesian Ridgebacks

sueyh

Please consider that there are 1000s of unwanted dogs both in the UK and France before you consider breeding.  Unless your dog has exceptional breed qualities and has been successful in the showring (which of course she may be/have been, if so forgive my comments) I would urge you to reconsider breeding just because you think I'd be nice to have pups. 

I have a chocolate labrador, rare as hen's teeth in my part of France.  She's had all the requisite health checks with excellent results, has an excellent pedigree but has never been shown.  I had a judge look at her and found she has a fault common in the breed which I, as a novice, had no idea about.  If I'd bred from her (and I've had many requests to do so and could make a small fortune) I could have perpetuated the fault and produced sub-standard dogs.  If you love your dog and love your breed leave breeding to the experts, who know best. 

I'd say exactly the same to the owner of ANY pure breed dog and I'm sure there are many who would agree with me.

Please I hope you don't take offence at my comments.  None is intended, I can assure you.

We probably won't be breeding from her. We even made plans to have her spayed and it was the vet who asked if we were sure we didn't want to breed from her.

On another note it would be nice to know if there are any other Ridgeback owners out there who can recommend a vet who would be used to treating the breed.

We do have two other dogs - one rescued and one adopted from our son who changed his job and could not give the dog the time and exercise he needed.

Suey

Blooming vets!

On a different note you may find it wil be be easier to get her spayed as the French have this "thing" about neutering their male dogs and you will prbably (like we do) gets LOTS of unwanted romeos heading your way!!

Have you tried the French Ridgeback breed club to see if there are any owners near your new home?

[quote]Blooming vets! On a different note you may find it wil be be easier to get her spayed as the French have this "thing" about neutering their male dogs and you will prbably (like we do) gets LOTS o...[/quote]

???? We were told by the mayor of our village, in fairly straightforward terms, to get our dog 'sorted' or face the consequences. He was a bit of a scally when the scent was up but sadly he's less of a man now...

Hi,

We're a Rhodesian Ridgeback owner, living in France (79), although our dog wasn't purchased in France.

There is the French Rhodesian Ridgeback Club, who have a website which is also published in English, this will give you some contacts who can probably give you more information about the breed here in France.

The link...

http://www.cynelevage.com/CLUBS/R/RhodesianRidgeback/RhodesianRidgebackENG.html

They're still very rare in France and ours attracts a great deal of attention wherever we go.  Some are drawn to her, and others afraid when they see her ridge that she's about to become aggressive. 

Good luck.

I know there are breeders in Britanny and Normandy. I have a Ridgeback that boards with me when her owner works. Ridgeback breeders are not that common in France. However I still dont advocate breeding when there are millions of adorable crossbreeds.

As a South AFrican it is always nice to see a Ridgeback though.

Candice