What type of food for GSD?

Lyndap

Hi

We have just adopted a beautiful 8month old German Shepherd from the local SPA.

From what I have read I shouldn't be buying cheap tinned or dry food as it will give him stomach problems. I've been looking on the supermarket shelves but I really don't know one from the other.

So could anyone recommend a good reasonably priced dog food that will maintain his health?

I've also seen a cold compartment selling fresh meat that looked reasonably priced.  Is this better and if so do you give it raw or cooked? Or what about the big sausage things - they were about 2 euros and again I'm not sure if these are any good and how much to give him. They could work out quite expensive.

Also should I give him any extra vitamins for his coat, or just add a raw egg in with his meal? His hair seems is a bit brittle at the moment on the top, but I don't know if this is because he is long haired, as the lower hair seems quite soft. 

Any help gratefully received.

Regards

Lynda

Glad to hear you have adopted a dog Lynda.  As he is only 8 months old you could give him the puppy (junior) croquettes as they have everything he needs in them.  There are many good brands of top quality dog foods, but on the usual supermarket shelves I find Brekkies Excel to be about the best.

Best wishes,

Christine

Hi Lynda,

Congratulations on your new addition. I have had a GSD for just over 7 years now, although he thinks he is only 7weeks old. He is also a long coat, my favourite on a GSD personally! I have always fed him on dry dog food although not the cheaper varieties, either Eukanuba or Science Plan and since we have been in France on Royal Canin. Everyone comments on how shiny his coat is, the only other thing he has other than the dry food is a couple of bonio's (macinas over here, well I think thats what their called) and a drink of milk for his breakfast. I certainly do not give him extra vitamins and my vet in the UK and here have always advised against it.

Another thing I would suggest regarding keeping his coat in good conditon is plenty of excercise and boy do they love that and also a good brush at least everyother day if not everyday.

Hope that is of some help and I wish you all the best with your new pet, you will soon learn how loyal and trusting GSD's are.

Happy walking, Regards

Rita

Hi, I am another long haird GS owner.  Our girl is three and is a stock coat which, if you don't know, means she has longish very soft fur but not got the extra long fur like the standard long haired and has the undercoat which standard long hairs doesn't.  Don't you just love the baby faces they seem to keep because off all that fur...not to mention the bushy tail

We have had ours from a pup and had a lot of problems with finding a food that did not give her a runny bum (could not think of a nicer way to put that sorry :blush.  German Shepherds are renowned for having delicate stomachs.  We have found the only dog food that she both loves and is perfect for her stomach is Royal Cainin German Shepherd 24.  Not cheap but has been well worth it for our girl.

We also give her tables that are both for the fur, skin and ticks (so say the packet but we use other tick treatment as well) but we get it in Germany so only know the German name (Formel-z by Bandorf)

Even at 8 months I would recommend that you give your dog adult dog food as German Shepherds can have problems with joints and it is best to not give them food to build them up quickly.

As far as dairy products (milk/eggs), a lot of dogs can not tolerate milk more specifically.  If you do want to give your dog them then try it out and see what effect it has at the other end.  If it all turns to liquid then stop.

I hope you enjoy your new addition as I am sure you will.

Best wishes

I'm sure none of us given the choice (KEY FACTOR - we don't have too much choice for decent dog food in France) would continue to feed our animals many of the premium brands mentioned as virtually all of them are actively involved or support product testing on animals (not just dog foods - bear in mind many of these companies are huge multinationals who produce a huge range of products).

I am at a loss to find one readily available dried dog food in France where the manufacturer is not involved in such activities.  The only one I do know of is Burns and although the actual product cost is comparable with my current brand (Hills) when I add on the cost of shipping it makes it prohibitively expensive.

You may be interested to have a look at the following sites which highlight some of the more unpleasant acitivites of some of the biggest pet food manufacturers.

http://www.buav.org/campaigns/petfood/facts.html

http://www.uncaged.co.uk/petfood.htm

If anyone knows of a readily available French brand that I could swap to that is not involved in any of these activities I love to hear about it.  Or if you are based in SW France (Midi Pyrenees) and would like to share an order for Burns please let me know.

Sorry to digress!

Lynda - congratulations on your new family member.  May you have many long and happy years together!

Thanks to you all for your sharing your experiences.

I have had a look at the Royal Canine, but was a bit taken back by the price! I'd love to be able to afford it but just can't.

I was going to try Brekkies Excel, but couldn't find it for pups in my local supermarket so I may try looking a bit further afield.

I'm really interested in the 'Burns' food but as discussed above, I need to check out the transport costs, though the actual price looks reasonable.

So, meanwhile I have ended up with Friskies for pups dry dog food, which looks comparable to Brekkies. He has only had one feed of it so far, so hopefully we should see some improvement 'at the rear end' over the next day or 2!

Thanks

Lynda

What ever make of food you go with, I still believe that at 8 months your dog should be on adult food and not high protien puppy food.  Most German Shepherd sites will suggest that the dog should go onto adult food from the age of 6 months to reduce the chance of rapid growth which causes skeletal problems in big dog breeds.

Another option which may work out cheaper is BARF which is a feeding method of feeding your dog fresh raw food but you would need to do some research on the net to get the full info.  Seen plenty of German Shepherd sites and breeders that recommend it but it is a lot LOT of work.

Just don't feed your GSD (or any other breed for that matter) any cooked onions - we lost our beloved Rough Collie to Auto-Immune Haemolytic Anaemia a while back and its supposed to be linked to some sort of chemical found in cooked onions (amongst other things). Yes, I know auto-immune means they haven't a definate answer as to what caused it, but further research has brough the above to light. Oh, and no chocolate either - it can be a killer too. Apart from those words of gloom, aren't we lucky to have our hairy friends to give us love and joy?? Mine's a huge Golden Retriever called Carter!

Ewa

Devon & 27 (and yes, Carter comes too!)

[quote]Just don't feed your GSD (or any other breed for that matter) any cooked onions - we lost our beloved Rough Collie to Auto-Immune Haemolytic Anaemia a while back and its supposed to be linked to some ...[/quote]

I would like to add raisins and grapes to the list of things NOT to feed dogs. A friend just lost her 3 year old BC to severe renal failure caused by the dog getting in the garbage and eating a bag of grapes...

My White GSD now aged over 13 yrs has always had dry dog food and any other food we saw fit to give him. 

He had DRY puppy food, which was then changed to the young dog, next the mature active dog, especially as he ran at least 7 miles a day with my husband.  He then went on the the less active and is now on a senior food.  I will say when he was young he had a supplement for his bones, but only as a puppy up until maturity at 18 months.

He teeth have remained pretty good which I am sure is down to the dry food.  He has never had any major health problems.  He now has arthritis and has a bit of a John wayne walk.  We don't expect him to be around by Christmas, but he has had a very good innings.

Jan

I forgot to add, he loves Pigs ears, bones and especialy the leather ones.

Thanks for all the replies.

Our GSD is now on dry food, medium priced, and his tummy troubles seem to have settled. Of course, if and when our situation changes, I may change his diet to one of the 'better' more expensive foods. But it's good to know that there are some GSD's out there on a more mid priced diet!

Anyway I feel like I'm a member of an 'exclusive club' being a GSD owner - now we just need to get the crazy dog trained!

Lynda

• 3 weeks later...

[quote]Thanks to you all for your sharing your experiences. I have had a look at the Royal Canine, but was a bit taken back by the price! I'd love to be able to afford it but just can't. I was going to try...[/quote]

Burns dog food available in France  - Maison des Animaux tel 0553605706

www.maisondesanimaux.com    The best you can buy ! could do with a nearer outlet !! Judy