House Insurance

With the imminent final signing next week, I have been sorting out house insurance. As I have been happy with the services of HIFX I decided to call them as they are now offering house insurance. They called back with a quote of 336p.a. for 5 piece house! Contacted Britline and they quote about 153. From what I can see the cover seems adequate for our needs, but what a huge difference. Anyone using HIFX for insurance?

Regards,

Bob

Speaking as someone who has typed many estimates for repairs for insurance companies based in the UK regarding french property, we have found that hardly any want to pay out or are interested. They seem happy enough to take people's money but when a claim is made, they say they can't send anyone to France to inspect and it seems to end there no matter how much complaining the customer does. From what I have seen over the years, you are better off insuring in France as you have, I believe, only a limit of so many days (10?) in which to get a claim in and then they still want three independent estimates,but they do seem to pay out very quickly. When you take out insurance, make sure you are covered for everything you can think of and it is possible,plus rsponsabilit civile in case you do any damage to your neighbour's property or your kids do.

It is normal to take over the existing insurance company. Twice I have been trotted along to their offices after signing.

Take care though, it can be VERY difficult to get out of their clutches. Needs recommended letters etc. two months before re-newal date.