Cats have a cold

Unknown

Hello

I wonder if anyone can help me.  I have two cats, aged 8 months and yesterday one of them had a partially closed eye.  Today the other one has the same.  The original cat now has two gooey eyes, a bit like conjunctivituce (sp) and a runny nose.  I'm suspecting the other cat will follow suit. 

I will take them to the vets tomorrow to have them checked out, but can anyone put my mind to rest if this is a usual problem for kitties, am I  overeacting?  I'm sure its not related but we have all had colds too over the past week, us humans that is, have we infected them?

Yes I know I am dotty, but I am worried.

Many thanks

Dotty

Hi Dotty.

My old cat had a runny eye a couple of times. I just bathed it with water that had been boiled, and it got better. If it hadn't got better straight away I would have taken him to the vets. He's about 23 now and it hasn't happened for a couple of years.

If you were to do this you have to wipe away from the eye, if you follow me?

My newish cat seems to have hayfever, but he's not unhappy. He looks a bit surprised when he sneezes though [:)]

I'm sorry to say that it sounds as if your cats have "cat flu". It can become very serious but with prompt treatment from your vet they should make a good recovery. 

The symptoms you describe are exactly the same as our kittens had some time ago now.  Following an injection, a course of antibiotics and eye drops (great fun trying to put those in) for a few days, they both recovered well.

You are doing the right thing to take them to the vet in the morning.

Oh! I hope they'll be OK Dotty O.

As I've got a new cat now, who has had all the injections going, how can you tell the difference between a cat with a runny eye and a cat with Flu?

The old cats eye was never gummed up or closed at any time, but was that a big risk I took?

Don't flinch from telling me the truth [:D]

No please don't flinch.  Now I feel really bad.  When we first got the kittens they were 6 weeks old and were born to a wild cat.  At 12 weeks  I took them to the vets to have them checked out and wormed and she suggested we have them vacinated against cat flu.  Well at the time we were, lets say, had more important things to spend money on, like food and electricity, so I said 'oh no, I'm sure they will never come into contact with other cats, we live miles away from anybody with a cat' 

Now looks as though I should have eaten toast that week.

As far as I can gather from my sister who breeds posh cats and is a bit of an expert,  once a cat has had cat flu once, it can recurr following a traumatic experience of some kind.  One of our kittens had a relapse after returning from the vets one day and promptly passed it on to our older cat who had never been ill  before in his life. He has always been up to date with vaccinations but still had it quite bad.    I  understand that cat flu is quite common in young kittens and is easily passed on at rescue centres etc.

As to symptoms,  when our kittens both had it, it was only the eyes that seemed to suffer - just as dotty has described - until one eye almost closed up altogether. With the older cat, he was sneezing quite a bit but his eyes weren't too bad.  So, hard to tell I suppose but I guess the best thing is a trip to the vet if you are worried.

Hey Dotty, don't you flinch either. We all do what we think is right at the time.

Our old cat (still doing its catty thing) only had one set of injections (I think it should have had boosters?) before it got taken away by offspring of mine. Offspring chose food instead of boosters too.

Said cat was eventually returned to us, and while it totters, it is still a happy cat. It has never been to the vet, apart from that once, so I think I judged the eye thing right.

In fact the other day, for the second year in a row, it did a terrible cat like thing to a swallow that flew in the kitchen after a fly. My sister insists this cat is 24 (she has one of its daughters), but I think it's around 22/23.

I'm not telling anyone they're wrong and I stand to be corrected but after 20+ years of having burmese (posh) cats which are prone to respiratory diseases, we have always been absolutely resolute in having ours injected annually for cat flu because we have been told by evey vet that we've been to that it is pretty close to terminal.  So even though we live out in the wilds where ours won't come into contact with other cats, and even when we had to choose between food and cat vaccinations, we went for the cat vaccinations, so please Dotty, get them done.  On the up side, I would  say that they sound to me more like they have a cold than flu - no disrespect to Eslier, but he is a man and men ALWAYS get flu whilst women get colds and cat flu will make your cat very, very ill and weak, very quickly.  I think they probably have a cold - but I also agree that you really should take them to the vet tomorrow, just to be on the safe side.

We've been to the vet toay with our poor old thing - he really is very, very poorly.  When he was five he had a collapsed lung and was diagnosed with a disease more common in panthers and leopards but occasionally seen in domestic cats, more usually siamese and burmese (as ours is).  After £1000 worth of treatment (lungs drained twice daily, stacks and stacks of intravenous antibiotics, he made a full recovery, much to the vet's delight, who had until then, never been able to save a cat with this disease.  We were then told that he could well be prone to catching it again.  However, we have managed to get through the last 11 years OK.  Unfortunately this last couple of weeks he has struggled with his breathing and over the last two days he has been gasping for breath and breathing through his mouth.  So today he went to the vet.  He had a lung xray, which showed a lung containing a lot of fluid and he has been put on cortisone tablets, diuretics and antibiotics but the vet has warned us he may not last the week.

My husband's going fishing next week and our last 3 cats have all died whilst he's been away on his fishing trips, so I'm feeling pretty low about this at the moment.

Please keep your fingers crossed for him.  He really is our baby and I don't know what I'll do if anything does happen to him.  Burmese are known for living to be between 20 and 30, so we were expecting at least another 5 to 10 years out of him.  He's very, very sad tonight.

Hope yours get on OK Dotty - I'm sure they will be.  Sounds like Tresco said, perhaps just a bit of a cold.  But get them checked out, just in case.

Yep - I agree with Eslier - the vets for you tomorrow Dotty, better safe than sorry.[;-)]

We once rescued a cat who promptly became ill with 'cat flu', at one stage the cat was going to the vets twice a day, and we were dripping water down its throat to keep its fluids up.

After I had the children this same cat debunked to an elderly neighbours with no children but a real fire - theres gratitude ![:)][:)]

St Amour, sorry to hear about your cat - fingers firmly crossed !

[quote user="St Amour"]

Please keep your fingers crossed for him.  He really is our baby and I don't know what I'll do if anything does happen to him...  He's very, very sad tonight.[/quote]

I was never sentimental about cats 'till I got the 'new' cat. It spreads.

Fingers crossed for your cat St Amour

Hi Dotty,

Last year two of my kittens (about 2 months old) had gooey eyes stuck together like you described.  When they are playing together kittens paw each others eyes and as they are also  scratching in the litter tray  they can get little infections.

Make some tea (PG TIPS[:)]) and when it's cold soak some cotton wool with the tea and clean their eyes from inside to the outer part making sure some of it gets into the eye.  Repeat this 2 or 3 times a day and it should clear within a few days.

Thank you for all your kind words of advice.  Made the appointment and saw the vet.  Would appear the kitties have colds.  They both had injections and have a course of tablets, they have some sinus tablets and eye cream as well.  I have to keep the sicker one in for two days, to make sure he takes his medicene.

For the consultation, 3 injections, two lots of tablets and eye cream, it came to the grand total of 76.00 euros. 

Many thanks again

Dotty

[quote user="Dotty Trois"]

Thank you for all your kind words of advice.  Made the appointment and saw the vet.  Would appear the kitties have colds.  They both had injections and have a course of tablets, they have some sinus tablets and eye cream as well.  I have to keep the sicker one in for two days, to make sure he takes his medicene.

For the consultation, 3 injections, two lots of tablets and eye cream, it came to the grand total of 76.00 euros. 

Many thanks again

Dotty

[/quote]

Glad to hear it was nothing more serious than colds (and not flu).  Aren't French vets wonderful!  Yesterday we had an x-ray plus three sets of medication and of course the consultation.  We did a rough tot up on prices when we last visite the vet in the UK (4 years ago) an reckoned we would easily have paid £100.  Yesterday's bill was 62 euros![:D]

Thanks for thinking of him Gay.  He's ventured off the bed today and has been sunning himself in the garden.  Breathing isn't quite so laboured but he's very weak and looks as though he's been on the calva the way he staggers about when he tries walking anywhere.  We're by no means out of the woods yet, as last week he had an upturn and then a dramatic downturn, but today is a much better day than yesterday![:D]

Our Toby had the same symptoms a few weeks ago. Trip to vet, antibiotic injection and a course of oral antibiotics, he was fine after 2 days. We used the full course of tablets, though. He had cat flu as a kitten, and our vet said it can recur, because it's a virus.

Well the healthier one out of the two must be on the mend, because my daughter found him with a vole in his mouth.  The poorlier one is still feeling poorly.  He has been asleep all afternoon and this evening is snuggled on my lap.  He did have a litle food, so that's a good sign.

Gosh I can't believe how I'm thinking about them, are they really children in desguise?