Advice sought ref puppy and cat

londoneye

Dear all

We are now the proud owners of a 8 week puppy, in addition to our three year old very scaredy cat.  Puppy, needless to say, sees cat as something very exciting to play with, especially when cat runs.    The cat did creep up to puppy on first day when she was asleep and try for the big swipe - only she was so keen to get in and away quickly that she barely touched her and she didnt even wake up - still cat looked pleased with itself !

Since then the cat follows the puppy at a discrete distance of around 10 feet - wherever puppy is, cat is behind.   Occasionally cat goes closer but never as close as on the first day.     i am starting to get upset at seeing cat sitting 10 feet away from me at all  times,  like a kid left out of a party invite, so can anyone give me the benefit of their experience in this area, and let me know what i might expect next!!  my gut feeling is that so far progress has  actually been ok on this one,  but i want my cat back how he was!!!

thanks

You've changed the hierarchy (well, somewhat - you're probably still at the bottom [6]) and it takes time for things to settle down.

I'd say things are going tolerably well. The cat clearly is getting ready to establish Alpha position over the puppy. The only danger is the puppy getting an eye gouged out in the process. The puppy should quickly learn via claws applied to nose that cats are to be respected. The cat will revel in it's mastery of an additional species and will begin to speak to you again. If circumstances allow, don't interfere too much and they'll sort themselves out and cat will probably revert to being loving towards you again. Another way to re-establish friendly relations is to pop the pup in another room or at least out of the way and give the cat some quality cuddle time.

When we've done the kitten / cat / dog introduction thing in the past, I've spent several days wondering why I was putting myself through the disruption but things do settle and at least the cat hasn't moved out. Good luck. [:)] 

thanks for that - we do always put puppy in kithcen at certain time of night and cat will then come and sit with us - also he is the only one allowed upstairs (on my pillow ifi am honest!) so he does have some time with us on his own - just feels like not enough time.   I have to say my worst nightmare was that the cat might move out, but thankfully that didnt happen, and i dont think it will at this stage.

Dick, you have worried me!  We have 2 male cats, they are

brothers, have always been together and are now coming up to 1 year

old.  We had them both "done", and they seem happy enough with

each other, cuddling up to sleep together and play-fighting in the

garden - definitely only playing.  Are we storing up problems for

ourselves later?? will one of them pack his bags and leave home, or be

forced to by the other??

Sorry, I am hijacking the real thread.......

Lou

Don't panic. [:)] We've had litter brothers in the past and have one year old litter brothers currently. Ours are neutered too. In time they may define for themselves slightly different "territories" centred around the house, but you'll need to be pretty observant to spot that and it'll be mutually agreed over a snifter of catnip rather than fought over. They've grown up together so they should continue to be fine. There'll always be an exception though so maybe Dick (or his son) was just unlucky with a particularly territorial kitten.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update and to say thanks again to everyone who was kind enough to respond.

Wouldnt say puppy and cat are best of friends now (although puppy would like to be i think, and when she hears the cats bell she starts wagging her tail and looking around!), but my lovely cat is back with me so to speak, chatting away to me again (no idea what he says tho) and occasionally when they are both indoors the cat will go up to the puppy and rub his nose against her nose.    other times, especially outside where he probably feels more vulnerable, he will hiss at the dog !

have to say i found it all quite traumatic and wouldnt want to do it again - thanks all for taking the time to give me your views/experiences - it helped !

Really glad things have settled down & the two are getting on better.  You'll see an improvement nearly everyday - but there may always be a little friction (there always is, where cats are concerned!!).

My hubbys family cat & dog were inseperable - even to the extent that if Holly, the cat, got in a fight with a neighbours cat, Cindy would rush out barking, rescue Holly & lick her to calm her down!!  She treated her like a pup!!  [:D]

thanks - are you really moving in  less than 10 days - how do you have the time to answer these -i am sure i wouldnt have done before our move - seems an age away now, although only 3 months or so !

good luck with your move anyway - hope it all goes really well for you - which region are you coming to ?

Thank you!!  I take a break from packing the house up - every few hours or so, for a coffee & look at the forum!!  Yup!!  We are moving to Charente on 26th July - renting for 6 months, just south of Angouleme, before buying our own house.

How have you found the last 3 months?!!  I think I'll be in total panic, when we first arrive & it'll take a few months for reality to sink in!! [blink]  There's a thread "ali@ards & Pads diary"  going about pads & our move - there are more up's & downs in it, than Eastenders!! [:-))]