Pony Insurance - help

Harley

• 3 weeks later...

I have had horses for years and had nothing but problems with their insurance from day 1.  A COPD (equine emphasema) was not covered after the initial treatment.  One bout of laminitis meant that was not covered ever again.  I now just have a "pony vet treatment" budget each month to cover mishaps and after 25 years I have saved a packet.  As they get older, they also get more expensive to insure.  However, my experience was all in the UK so it may be better over here.  I suggest you ask your vet as a first resort as they will have worked with a number of insurance companies and will know the best in terms of how much the clients can expect to be covered for repeat treatments of long-term ailments.  These are the things that will cost you the most money in the long-run.

If this is your first pony, you can also avoid some of the more common problems by good management so do take expert advice (sorry if you're and old-hand and this sounds like teaching my grandmother!)

[quote user="Harley"]Thanks for that.  I am by no means an old hand at this and appreciate the help.  I hadn't thought of asking the vets for advice.[:D][/quote]In that case, I assume you won't mind me giving you a bit of a warning about the dreaded laminitis ("la fourbure" - think that's how you spell it!)  The grazing tends to be very rich in France and this horrible disease is particlarly common in ponies.  Beware of letting your pony graze freely on a large paddock - divide it up with electric fence "la cloture electrique" if necessary and allow your pony only a limited amount of land at a time.  A good clue as to if your pony is getting too fat is that you should be able to feel her ribs, (but not see them!)  If you can't, then she is probably eating too much! You will know if she is suffering from this problem because she will stand with her front legs stretched out and her feet will be hot.  You will also feel a strong pulse on the inside of her leg just above the fetlock joint.  Feel her feet daily and if they seem warmer than usual, move her off the grass immediately and only return her to a small paddock when they have cooled down. Your vet will give you good advice, I am sure. Beware of giving your pony "hard feed" (ie anything other than hay) unless she is working hard.  Laminitis, if it gets out of hand, can cause the pedal bone to rotate and pierce the frog in extreme cases, which is incurable, so do take care. Good luck with her and may she give you years of fun.

Harley

Prevention is better than cure!

A good farrier will be invaluable in diagnosing the earliest signs of laminitis. If you are grazing your pony on rich pasture, you can also limit the intake by fitting a Greenguard.

Sorry, I can't help with insurance as our nags are in the UK.

[quote user="Salty Sam"]

Harley

Prevention is better than cure!

A good farrier will be invaluable in diagnosing the earliest signs of laminitis. If you are grazing your pony on rich pasture, you can also limit the intake by fitting a Greenguard.

Sorry, I can't help with insurance as our nags are in the UK.

[/quote]Green guard is a new one on me and I thought I had seen it all!  More info' if poss please?

Thanks

Greenguard turns your horse / pony into a Hannibal Lector lookalike!

http://www.barnstormers.co.uk/acatalog/Muzzles.html or http://search.ebay.co.uk/greenguard_W0QQfromZR18QQfsopZ1QQsspagenameZADMEQ3aBQ3aTB2Q3aUKQ3a2

We get ours off eBay. They look pretty grotesque but the Greenguard especially, limits the amount the horse / pony can eat as they only manage to get the strands of grass which actually fit through the mask.

Works a treat!