Help... a Cat has adopted us...

Afy

I returned home this evening after almost 4 weeks... and find a cat in the house. Wifey says was waiting for her outside..and starving. Have checked in the village et al ... no one is missing one.

Well seems fairly young...

But the issue is that the cat is evidently house borken et al... probably abandoned...

Laila (our great dane) has no experinece with cats... she (laila) gets along just fine with the in-laws newfoundland... no idea how to proceed. The cat currently lives downstairs in the laundry... office area (heated... not the basement) While Laila is in the main upstairs area... the cat is sitting on my lap as I type this.

We are going to take the cat to the vet...post christmas to see if it is chipped... and probably have him neutered, vaccinated etc. But in the event that we do keep the cat (very likely) I do want the doggah and kittah to be friends... no idea of how to achieve that....

All advice is appreciated....

Afy ..........

Presumably you're still in the UK?  (Off to France tomorrow, from your previous thread?)

Anyway, we were 'adopted' by what we thought was a 6-12 mth old cat just over a year ago.  Lovely little chap - found out when we went to the vet that he was actually 5yo or so & already neutered.  Had been on the roads for 6 mths+, the vet reckoned.  Now well & truly settled, filled out, and just about accepted by the matriarchs (2x 18yo females) though he'll always be a bit 'fragile'.

I can't speak for how he might be accepted by your dog, but my impression from others is that they usually rub along. 

What a lovely Chritmas present! My avatar cat adopted me last summer, all skin and bone with one leg hanging off because there wasn't enough muscle to attach it to the joint. I've got other cats and dogs too - at first the cat was rather scared of the dogs, but now they all get a long fine - the dogs don't chase after the house cats as they would a cat they didn't know. It didn't take long at all for them to get used to each other - a couple of days of the cat hiding behind the kitchen cupboard, then everything was fine. Good luck!

Ours turned up in the garden in February 5 years ago looking like a bag of bones wrapped in an old bit of fur. She appeared to be domesticated and had had kittens but was very timid. Although she would eat outside she would not come in for a long time, preferring to live in a pile of rubble in an adjacent builders yard.  As she became less timid and after another litter of kittens, which disappeared, she started to venture inside for food. We put her on the pill and once it became obvious that we were acceptable and that she was staying we took her to the vet to be spayed and chipped. She now rules the roost and we are fully accredited members of her staff! 

Nah got back a day early due to the fog situation and flights being cancelled...

The cat seems fine... climbs all over us given half a chance... Will alllow the dog within siz inches of him as long as there is a human inbetween, not perturbed by the dog too much. The dog is more inertested in the cat than the other way around. Hissed at the dane a couple of times ... who was more than a little taken aback... since she is just a huge baby... I guess time is what it will take.

[quote user="Chas"]Ours turned up in the garden in February 5 years ago looking like a bag of bones wrapped in an old bit of fur. She appeared to be domesticated and had had kittens but was very timid. Although she would eat outside she would not come in for a long time, preferring to live in a pile of rubble in an adjacent builders yard.  As she became less timid and after another litter of kittens, which disappeared, she started to venture inside for food. We put her on the pill and once it became obvious that we were acceptable and that she was staying we took her to the vet to be spayed and chipped. She now rules the roost and we are fully accredited members of her staff! [/quote]

Must be related to the kitten who adopted us last November!

She-who-must-be-obeyed has a choice of 2 beds in the house, a cat house on the terrace, another bed in the garage and yet another on top of the pile of wood, all furnished with old fleecy blankets and one even has left-over 13 layer insulation under!!!

She has taught us which cat food to buy, when to give it to her and when she wants to play or be left alone!