Taking Pets to France Permanantly

Mark White

My wife and I are keen a permanent retirement move to the southwest area of France. If we do make this move our family pets would of course (British outlook on pets !) need to come with us. Our small zoo would consist of a Rough Collie dog, three******tiels and two pet farmyard white ducks. I assume with appropriate vet checks / certification the dog would be no serious problem but I did briefly read somewhere that there was a limit of “two only” parrot type/size? birds that could be imported in on a permanent basis, but was not sure how this rule would affect us (husband & wife 2 persons) with the above 2 ducks and 3******tiels? Does anyone know from experience what and how the rules would apply or the best point of contact to find out the definitive answer! …bottom line they cant go, nor-do-we !

Mark & Julie White, Thompson, Norfolk, UK

Hi Mark

I think my first port of call would be to telephone DEFRA in the morning.  They are really good, in my experience and have certainly sorted our horses and dogs out - the sheep and goats(pets, not breeding stock) for a friend.  Often the vets find it all a bit of a nightmare, so best speak to DEFRA first. Best of luck.  Just remembered, we have friends up the road who have recently come here permanently with a parrot and five cats.  I'll ask them if you get no luck.  Let me know if you want me to.

Fran

Legally you will need export certificates to take them out of the country if they are not going back. I forget the time limit but I think you have to ask about a week in advance but check with your vet. You can split animals up between the people in the car, we had 3 cats and a dog and it was not a problem.

We came across by tunnel because it is better on the cat and dogs plus you obviously stay with them in the car. On the ferry they have to stay in the car and with all the banging they get stressed.

To be honest the UK guys told us what to do whn we got off the train which was instructions on where we were to go if asked, We had a special sticker for the car top let them know we had animals on board. Were the French interested? No of course not, theres nobody to check when you get of the train (specially at French lunchtime or aftr 18:00) and we drove straight through. Others here have often had the same experience and it makes you wonder why you pay all this money which appears to be for nothing.

When we came no-one batted an eyelid on the outward journey - and we just drove off at the end.

If you are coming to SW France just watch out for TICKS, especially if you have a longhaired dog. Ticks carry disease that are fatal to dogs if not treated in time so you will need to make sure you use a flea and tick treatment regularly and keep a watchful eye open for the little blighters even if it means grooming several times a day just to be sure.

We came to France in July with 2 dogs, 2 budgies and 19 ducks and geese.

The dogs travelled with the standard Pet Passports.

The ducks were exported using forms 5016EHC available from your local Animal Health Office - part of DEFRA. Ducks are always classed as "poultry" so even if they are non-commercial, ie. just pets, you still have to export them under the official guidelines. Make sure you ask the AHO for the paperwork to export in "Lots less than 20 birds". Each duck has to be salmonella tested by your vet, and a negative result received in the month prior to export. They are then re-examined on the day of export and you will be issued with a yellow Health Certificate 2084EHC enabling the birds to travel.

The budgies were examined by a Vet within 24 hours of export (he stared at them through the bars of the cage) and issued with a Health Certificate.

It all sounds really complex but it's relatively straight-forward once you work out all the timings. I think the duck export papers had to be applied for no earlier than 28 days prior to export, and the budgies export papers 10 days prior to export. You nominate the vet that you wish to use for the checks and DEFRA send the forms direct to them. If you ring DEFRA they will clarify the whole process for you. I found them very helpful.

Don't believe all the stories about never being stopped at the ports - every time we have travelled with animals our paperwork has been checked. I think we're probably just unlucky but it's not worth the risk to chance it!

All of our birds travelled really well - we used the Channel Tunnel and kept stopping to feed and water them and give them some fresh air. We travelled them in wooden-sided crates with wire tops. This allowed the Customs Officers to clearly see them, without having to open the cages and risk an escape.

The only downside was the smell in the car for 14 hours!!!

• 1 year later...
That is really encouraging, when I asked DEFRA would it be possible to transport 6 pet ducks to France I was told that I would have to register as a farm! Mind you the gentleman I spoke to did say to check back a few months before we go, as the regulations change all the time!

This will really cheer my husband up!

Re taking poultry - we are just re-homing our 10 hens because although it "possible" to export them under the less than 20 bird scheme - it's not quite as simple as one of these posts implies - you now need not only salmonella testing - but mycloplasma blood tests up to 2 vets inspections - and all of this costs and if any of the birds fail - then they can't be exported anyway. Then there was the impact of currently being free-range - tp possinbly needing to be kept inside because of bird 'flu. We went though everything that was needed, the impact of the 16 hours travel on the birds, their life expectancy andecided that much as our chooks are much loved pets - the total costs / impact on their lives were prohibitive when we could re-home them in a safe loving environment.  The local DEFRA agent that I spoke was very helpful and someone else may take the view that the costs are worth it

Our cat is of course coming with us - with his passport and will have his annual rabies jab so that if needed we can bring him back to the UK.

Point taken, but our ducks are very young, and my vet is my next-door neighbour, so will do all the inspections needed at home. Also we have always had an arranement about costs! It certainly helps!